Question: Cpt Jack ate a fly!

satyrlike

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Satyrlike
Cpt Jack ate a fly last night! I don't know why it decided that landing in the tank was a smart thing to do, but Jack was hanging out on some floating plants and as soon as the fly hit the water he lunged and ate it! I watched him off/on all night to see if he would get sick but he seemed fine. This morning he ate 1/2 a worm as usual and seemed his normal self when I ran home at lunch and checked on him. I don;t have a top on the tank due to trying to keep it cooler <summer gets pretty warm down here in middle Georgia> but should I start covering it now to stop this from happening again? It's not like I have an insect invasion in my home, but flies will occasionally make it inside and I could see this happening again.

I dont think flies will harm teh newst if they are eaten. i would however cover the tank as newts are famous escape artists being able to scale walls so for that reason Id put lid on.;)

i think jack will be fine, and i think your ok without a lid, i doubt jack has any desire to leave the water. and you know when i got pixie from the pet store he was on a diet of frog pellets and flies and he was fine so i think this too shall pass.

I am sure that the Captain will be fine with the fly. My husband tries to give these guys all kinds of bugs, but I have put my foot down and now he just gives them to the Oscar. I am okay with the worms from outside, but not the kind with legs, or the big ants...:eek:(they didn't actually eat the ant, but I took it out.

He was fine last night and this morning, ate like the little piggy that he is but now we have our Fly Destruction System <fly swatter> in place by the tank and my 6 year old has appointed herself as lead fly killer so hopefully it won;t happen again. hehe

It's perfectly natural for your axolotl to eat a fly and really nothing to worry about. The shiny metallic exoskeleton on blue bottle type house flies is non-digestible so you may see it floating around once it's pooped out.

All insect invaders, with the exception of wasps and bees, are fed to something in my house :D.

i feel the 6 year old should get a costume. i could easily draw one up for her...

Right now her costume is a pink tutu, a green mardi grais mask, cowboy boots and a fly swatter. She said that she was going to change it tonight though. Hehe... yeah, my girls are a bit odd like their Daddy. :D

Being odd is a gift. those normal people are boring

It's perfectly natural for your axolotl to eat a fly and really nothing to worry about. The shiny metallic exoskeleton on blue bottle type house flies is non-digestible so you may see it floating around once it's pooped out.

All insect invaders, with the exception of wasps and bees, are fed to something in my house :D.

I should start doing this! I go leaf litter hunting for my newt (when I remember :eek:) so I might dig through there for goodies for the axies too :rolleyes:

Such a shame other invaders, i.e. a cat paw through the hole in the tank lid aren't edible.... I bet if she tried to eat it the cat wouldn't do it again! He has a strange fascination with water....

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back