Question: How many axolotl can live in my 24"x18"x14" in tank

mamatoulouse

Reaction score
Country
Spain
Hello i am wondering how many axolotl can live in my tank? it 24inches long by 18inches wide and 14 inches deep...
I have been interested in getting an axolotl for some time and when i saw this tank on clearance for 32 bucks i got it...
I am wondering how many i can put in...
I have been researching axolotl a bit and am wondering how big are they when they out grow the cannibal stage?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi
You could only fit one full grown axolotl in that tank

Mel

The rule of thumb is that one axi will live happily in a thank about double its body length. As 24" is 61cm and axi's can grow to over 30cm then only 1 for this tank. You'd need at least 3foot to keep more than 1.

Bigger is always better for axi's... and helps with nitrate control.

Do you know about tank cycling? Oh and what sort of filtration were you going to use?

Wow I was thinking about 2 .... I guess its a matter of opinion though...there are so many different opinions on the subject...:happy:

wow i was thinking about 2 .... i guess its a matter of opinion though...there are so many different opinions on the subject...:happy:
Thats true, two might be able to live in a tank that size... but it will mean they will be more prone to fighting as there is less space and also more water maintenance for you to worry about.

My girl (who is about 22cm) lives in a 50cm tank right now but her new 3foot palace is coming next week... than maybe I'll get her a friend... or not... I don't know yet

Yes I know about nitrates nitrites and all of that business, I keep a fish so I am very familiar with those topics....
I have an internal filter on the tank... its a very oddly sized tank IMO lots of floor space...

I am no stranger to tank maintenance, I do a 10% water change on one of my tanks daily and then a 20% change on my big tank twice a week.

Thats good to hear! You sound like your a dedicated keeper so I'm sure if you have 2 axi's they'll be well looked after.

Thanks, I try to provide the best for my animals, after all they are counting on me!

If you truely care about your animals you wont put two axies in that tank.
If you want two you need a bigger tank.....imagine two 30cm axies in it....

Mel

hi there, i had two 15cm axies in a 24inch tank for a bit. I recently got a 3 foot tank and they are soooooooooo much happier now.. though you could keep 2 in a 2 footer (ur tank), it's much more humane to just keep 1, or get two young ones, then upgrade when the time comes.

Also axies are kind of addictive.. its probably better to get a 3 or 4 foot tank, then when your in a pet store and see a real cutie (like i did today), you wont have to resist buying it. :D You can always use your 2 footer down the track for breeding (like i plan too). :)

enjoy, hope that helped.

I keep 2 axies in a 2 and a half foot bow-front tank quite easily, but I supplement my regular filtration with a plant filter too, so I have very good water quality and crystal clear water all the time.

keep in mind that in a smaller tank you will need to fill it up with lots of hides and visual barriers to "trick" your axies into thinking they are alone...they basically won't see each other all of the time.

I don't recommend it if you are new to axies and have a tank that is not established, or if you have small axies, they are cannibalistic when they are younger.

so i am curious hoe does one decide how much space an animal should have..
i keep hearing these different numbers... like 12" per axolotl or 5 gallons per or 10 gallons per...

i have had a few axies before just not within the last 5 years so my memories for their care is a bit vague.....

The minimum for 1 axie is 1ft, 30cm, 10 gallons.
Sam:happy:

If you put an axolotl in a one foot tank it would not be able to move!!!!

Mel

We had our 2 little ones (they were 10 cm back then) in a 60 cm tank... for 1 day... It was really too cramped and it just didn't feel right. Luckily we had a spare 80cm tank, so we set that up for them. We have them for two months now and they've grown a lot, they are 18 cm now. And I just can't imagine I would have left them in the 60 cm, it would just have been too cramped. They like the space to wander, float and swim. Personally I think that 80 cm isn't big enough for 2 adults either, probably we will buy a 120 cm tank when they are older/bigger!

so i am curious hoe does one decide how much space an animal should have..
i keep hearing these different numbers... like 12" per axolotl or 5 gallons per or 10 gallons per...
For me its really more important as to how your axi seem in their environment, my little on is starting to look big in her tank... especially when she lays along the front, I felt she just needs more room to be herself.

Think about it you wouldn't permanently keep a dog in a pen which was only 2 times its body length... I figure same thing for an axi

However I think the gallon related numbers are mostly concerned with water quality rather than happiness of the animal... I mean I've seen some 10 gallon tanks which would be totally unsuitable for an axolotl

It's true about the dog pen (hate those things btw :D) but add to that that a tank for an axi is the whole world of the axi. A dog can get out sometimes...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back