Hynobius dunni eating video

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Country
Spain
Display Name
Rodrigo
Ok, the quality is awful, but since i´m not going to be able to do better, you´ll just have to bear with me xD
They look smaller than they are i think (probably because of the angle of the massive tweezers xD), they have grown a lot and are looking much more like adults. Most are at 10cm or so, one being slightly smaller. Their growth rate seems to have slowed down considerably, although they keep being as savagely greedy. You can only see another little face appaering in the bottom while i feed the one in the higher hide, but at the time, all 5 faces where intently looking at the tweezers and a couple of them where inching towards it from their hides. They are really very good hunters. When i don´t feed them with tweezers, they actively stalk their prey and can take a long time to do so, moving only very slightly and then pausing for stealth. Quite remarkable when compared to some of my other species´s techniques which are more based on bloodyminded assault.
Anyway, despite the bad quality and the limited content, i hope you enjoy the video.

PS: I tried my best, Chris xDD I´ll see if i can get some decent pictures at some point.

YouTube - ‪Hynobius dunni comiendo grillo.‬‏

now that's cute! I love feeding per tweezers, it's so...personal :) I have one tiny morph of apuanus who sits on his cork bark every day waiting for Mama's big tweezers to descend from the sky and bring a piece of chopped earthworm.

Sorry, Rodrigo, completely missed this! Thanks for getting the video - they are great animals. I hope to see them emerging from a mass of Selaginella soon!

C

Here are a couple of more recent photos, and one of their tank a couple of weeks ago. They aren´t growing as they used to, but a couple of them are changing their coloration which i take as a possible sign of maturity. I´m as fascinated by them as the day i got them...what a fantastic species they are!!!

Attachments

• P1080311.JPG
    P1080311.JPG
    107.7 KB · Views: 369
  • P1080319.JPG
    P1080319.JPG
    161.5 KB · Views: 329
  • P1080320.JPG
    P1080320.JPG
    100.2 KB · Views: 460
  • P1080303.JPG
    P1080303.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 326
Great tank - the darkness gives it some really mysterical feeling :D

Nice specimens !
You're right, Hynobiid Salamanders are fantastic species :D

strange, beautiful, fascinating newts :) What's that cool moss in there, is that java moss?

Lovely animals, Rodrigo. They do look close to maturity - sexually mature animals will retain some blue speckling for a few years.

C

Yes, that´s java moss, Molch. I trimmed it recently because it was getting out of hand. It does really well in the conditions of that tank, i love it, and so do the dunni who enjoy carving tunnels through it.

Cheers, Chris. I´m beginning to be dangerously excited about next season´s possibilities. Arf, i can´t wait xD

nice pictures!!;)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back