Help please

hopea2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought two baby axolotl off of ebay. One white and the other is a wild type. When i undid the wrapping they were both just floating , i thought they were dead, but after opening the lid and looking at them carefully their hearts were beating. So i have put them in the tank i set up for them, but they are still just floating showing no signs of life other than their heart beat. I have emailed the seller also for advice, but not had a reply yet. Is it too late or will they come round?

The seller has replied and said they may have air in them and they will hopefully rally round. Could it be anything else? Anything i should be doing?

Last edited:
Make sure the keep them cool, at under 23C. Also have you got a recycled tank? The water quality is very important.
I hope they'll get better.Good luck

Axi's off ebay... wow. I hope they come around

If not maybe try for a breeder where you can go pick the babies up yourself

They are probably stressed as well from the trip, especially if they weren't handled carefully during the trip.

How long were they in the shipping conaintor for? How where they shipped? Do you know of they had eaten before they were shipped?

Since they are likely stressed and are floating I'd be inclined to think that some time in the fridge wont do any harm and could help.

Do you know what their diet was before? Or if they were kept on gravel?

Is your tank cycled? Filtered? Is it nice and cool?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back