Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Adopted a sick Axoltol, and im afraid he is not going to make it.

browen33w

Reaction score
An Army friend of mine is moving soon and asked me to take care of his little guy Dino. All I was told was that he had been attacked a few months ago and lost his gills... after seeing him I am 99% sure he has morphed and has not been eating enough. He is very very skinny. I have only been able to get him to eat pellets if I drop them close to his head... As soon as I get off from work today I plan on hitting up my local pet store for live blood worms. What should I do!!!!? I can post pics this after noon, but trust me he is very sad looking.

Star

Reaction score
Until pics are posted I guess there isn't a lot people can say yet. If he is being kept in water then it would be handy to post temp/nitrate/nitrite/ammonia readings if possible. Try get him some live earthworms too

browen33w

Reaction score
I will post pics asap.
temp : 66 deg F
nitrate/nitrite : both read clear
ammonia : very low

The temp where he used to live was well over 75 deg F...

browen33w

Reaction score
Here is a pic that I took at lunch. :(

EDIT: I tried to feed him live meal worms but he didnt seem to want any.. im going to pick up earth worms on the way home...

Attachments

• 247906_1938356493498_1079948284_2149302_34079_n.jpg
    247906_1938356493498_1079948284_2149302_34079_n.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 276
Last edited:

Star

Reaction score
He doesn't look like an axie to me :eek: he's very beautiful though! If that's his tank in the background you need to get rid of the gravel ASAP as it can cause impaction and kill him. It does look like he is morphing though... Try him with a few wax worms as treats to beef him up a bit, only a few mind, it puts the weight on them stupidly quick! My axie was thinner than him, I was at a loss as to how to beef him up as every suggestion was tried and failed. I got some wax worms for my newt, offered one to him, he was fat in literally 2 days and hasn't dropped an ounce by the look of him!

How is his tank set up, is it fully aquatic? If it is then, from looking at him, I would lower the water level enough so he is still comfortable but make sure that there is a raised area so he can climb out if he wants to otherwise he could end up drowning once his gills are fully gone.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
That's definitely a tiger salamander, not an axolotl.

Does he still have gill nubs? Or are they all gone?

You're going to need to set him up in a terrestrial tank as soon as he loses his gill nubs. Please read through these articles here and here about how to care for tiger salamanders.

browen33w

Reaction score
He has a nub on either side of his head where his gills use to be.. THANK YOU ALL for the help with him. I will try the wax worms as soon as I get home. The tank is not fully aquatic; There are large smooth rocks on one side (with room for him to get up and out of the water), and about 2 inches of water on the other side. So 50/50.

browen33w

Reaction score
He didnt go for either... ill try every day to get him to eat.

browen33w

Reaction score
I know this area is for Axolotls but I still can't get him to eat at all... should I keep the temp low or bring it up alittle??:confused:

browen33w

Reaction score
I wanted to give everyone an update on my tiger. It has been 5 months but he has been doing so much better. I want to thank you all again for all of your help. :)

309812_2261935942782_1079948284_2497032_324742765_n.jpg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1