Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Sick axie really quick HELP!

arch0110

Reaction score
My poor taco has suddenly got sick. yesterday he floated and we reduced his water. today he has fungus and was basically dead! wouldnt move. struggled to stay upright. gave him a salt bath and have fridged him. my kids have been sick for a week so we have been home all day with the heater on making his water 24+. so my question is how do I know if he is getting better and ..... how do I know if he is dead? How come he got sick so quick. he ate 4 worms yesterday? Help

Mandy6

Reaction score
Just keep him in the fridge and do salt baths until 3 days after the fungus is gone.

Floating isn't always a sign of illness, only if they can't get to the bottom when they want to and are struggling.

Have you got a water test kit? If not it will be a good idea to invest in one, and if you have one what are the parameters of the tank water?

The heat would have stressed him a lot been that high which can lead to illness that quickly. How long was the water that hot for?

He wont be active in the fridge, but one the fungus is gone I think he should be fine, just make sure to keep his tank cool and keep an eye on the water parameters. It's good that he is still eating.

And I haven't dealt with a dead axie before, but mine have often just sat really still in weird positions and made me think they were dead, I poked them and they swim away after biting me, or in some cases stay still so I lift them up and then jump and swim down to the bottom of the tank, so I imagine if they were dead you could tell since they wouldn't get upset at been touched/picked up.

Good Luck with him! I hope your kids and your axie are feeling better soon

arch0110

Reaction score
Thanks Mandy for your reply and advice. Yes kids are getting better they have had scarlet fever so we have had to keep the house really warm. didnt think about taco - good mum bad mum! will keep up the salt baths and hope for the best. as for the floating he couldnt get to the bottom yesterday that is why we reduced his water and I worked out he was a bit hot so we cooled his tank. then today white fungus all over and the left side of his gills seem to have fallen off. he is still only a baby maybe 6 months old. poor little critter. Will keep you posted.

arch0110

Reaction score
Sorry Mandy one more question. everything i have read says they should be "fridged" at 5 degrees but my fridge is set to 4. I have put in the what i think is the warmest part of the fridge - dont want the milk going off. Is that going to cause a problem?

Mandy6

Reaction score
To be honest I'm not entirely sure, but from what I understand 5 is about the lowest they tolerate well

arch0110

Reaction score
Hi Mandy
Thanks for your advice. Sadly Taco passed away last night. Very sad

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1