3 ft salamander?!

suztor

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I found this post on craigslist for the phoenix area search salamander...

3ft Salamander, Amphiuma, Swamp eel?:eek::eek: it seems so cool but also like a lot of work. out of curiosity Does any one have one of those on here? It's just crazy looking/ cool to me. don't think i'd ever own a large salamander like that!

Last edited by a moderator:
So I found this post on craigslist for the phoenix area search salamander...

3ft Salamander, Amphiuma, Swamp eel?:eek::eek: it seems so cool but also like a lot of work. out of curiosity Does any one have one of those on here? It's just crazy looking/ cool to me. don't think i'd ever own a large salamander like that!

I had a friend who owned one. He said that it was one of the most aggressive pets he ever owned. He fed it live mice and it would kill a full grown mouse easily. I don't think they would hesitate to bite a human hand. He said many times it almost bit his hand. Another member on here told me that it was the meanest salamander he ever found while herping. I think his exact phrase was "vicious ole salamanders".

Besides all that I bet they're great variety of salamander. They're gorgeous to be exact. I wouldn't think this salamander is for a novice/beginner. I dislike the fact that sellers call them Congo Eels. I always thought that the Congo was in Africa and eels aren't salamanders. Amphiumas have many stage names that may confuse certain hobbyists. Its always fun finding out information and habitat range on new salamanders that catch the eye.

Last edited by a moderator:
I kept a sub-adult pair. They are extremely aggressive toward each other, and toward food. I also fed mine mice (although I opted for frozen), and nightcrawlers. You want to talk about a salamander that would eat you out of house and home? These guys ate 4-6 nightcrawlers a piece per feeding (every 2 days), and then got half a dozen pinkies a piece every week. $$$

They're awesome to keep, but they require a LOT of space. I mean a lot. You could keep a full grown one in probably a 6 foot tank, but that might be cramped.

Yeaa they have 2 large species called mudpuppies and hellbenders and there are ones i japan that grow to be 6 feet and japanese folk lore says that they have been known to eat children and ''steal their soul'' anyways I would own a hellbender or mudpuppy but not a hellbender lol.

Man, thats so crazy! is that one either one of the 2? Hellbender or mud puppy?

I'm def not looking at getting it/one, couldn't afford it, and couldn't do the mice as food cuz i'm just too fond of the furry things. Main reason i don't have a snake.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

I'm not sure what Senad was trying to say.

Amphiumas are neither hellbenders (Cryptobranchus alleghaniensis) nor mudpuppies (Necturus species). They're Amphiumas. Check out some pics here.

Additionally, the species in Asia are also not hellbenders. They're Japanese or Chinese giant salamanders, Andrias japonicus or Andrias davidianus.

Just google image searched this salamander.........

WOOOOWWWWEEEEE!! THAT IS HUUUGGGEEE! :eek:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back