Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Axie in store - see through tail

Jenste

Reaction score
I have a question reguarding an Axie we saw in a pet store.

My sister saw it and was interested in buying one and setting up a tank for it, but she noticed the tip of the axie's tail is see through. I went to go see the axie with her,
he/she is about 6.5-7" long, natural colors with darker colored gills with just a hint of pink...looks healthy to me (I am still new to axolotl keeping) but about 1/4" of the tail tip is nearly see through.

What is this a sign of? I was unable to get a picture because the store had an employee nearby who told us we were not allowed to (they saw me pull out my phone :rolleyes:)

blackdog

Reaction score
I can see through my axies tails too.

But i think based on what you are describing i'd say the tip of the tail has been bitten off at some stage and what you are seeing is the regrowth - totally normal in other words.

One of my axies lost about an inch off his tail and it's grown back really nice but is still at this point quite pale and see through.

Bren

Boo Penguin

Reaction score
The end of my axi's tail is translucent and her toes are also see through in the right light. And she's never been injured on her tail.

In fact I think she's only had a little nip to her leg right before I got her, and possibly a gill injury at some stage because 1 side of her gills is perpetually shorter than the other... which is a bit sad.

But she;s still adorable...:D

But I digress, a see through tail doesn't seem out of the ordinary

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!