Warmer weather terrestrial salamanders

nursemelody

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Melody
Currently I have an aquatic set up with 6 fire belly newts I keep at 70 F, and a large land tank with three yellow-spotted salamanders that I keep at 70 as well...

I wanted to know what other terrestrial salamanders make good pets and can tolerate 70-80 degrees... Or basically WHO are the warmer weather sallies?

For terrestrials, Plethodon glutinosus complex, Taricha torosa, Fire salamanders and Ambystoma sp. come to mind – however even the more tolerant of heat.... e.g., tiger salamanders do not do well at temps above low/mid-70s F for any length of time. With caudates, cool is the rule.

Thanks so much for answering my question! Curently my 3 yellow-spotted's are doing fine at 70... but I live in Florida and things tend to be warmer here. I just bought a small refrigerator should the air conditioner go out... My aquatic species I am able to cool down to about 68 using a fan, but am worried a fan would dry out terrestrial species, even though I have a fogger on the tanks....

Out of the species you named: slimy salamander, california newt, fire salamander, and tiger... cud you give me an order (I know this a matter of opinion and a hard question) of how "sociable" you think they are... i.e., aren't ALWAYS hiding....etc.,

Again thanks for answering!

i've kept marbled salamanders and emperor newts in higher temps without noticeable problems. mole salamanders species which can burrow will definitely have the advantage of keeping cooler than ambient air temps. of course then you won't see them much.

i'd disagree with fire salamanders as i've kept one and can't speak for the other species. they will show stress and die once its gets hot.

i too occasionally have trouble keeping temps regulated due to my room being an addition to a garage.many frogs and toads however will due just fine. i've kept toads, tomato frogs and my newly acquired bumblebee toads are all pretty hardy anywhere from 65-85. i'd say they're way more active than most salamanders

Warm weather salamanders, hmmm... I'd recommend the "crusty salamanders", also known as lizards;)

As tonymontana noted, some of the Tylototriton (emperor newts) will do fine in the 70-78 range in summer. Despite being newts, most of them are fully terrestrial.

I know they all prefer cooler weather as opposed to lizards, but I don't really care for lizards as much... I just want to know what terrestrial species are hardier when it comes to warmth resistance... I dont wan't to accidently pick a species that is EXTREMELY untolerant to warm temps, without consulting everyone first..... Trust me, I do everything I can to keep things cool for all my caudates... I am thinking for emergency situations... I even bought a small refrigerator specifically for them, should the air go out again...

So everyone is agreeing Tiger, Slimy, California and Emperor????

I´d disagree about the slimies. However, if they can borrow deep they seem to be moderately tolerant. Mine gets stressed when temps get over 24ºC, though (luckily it never lasts long).
Tylototriton spp are perhaps the best choice, at least the species which are predominantly terrestrial if that´s what you are looking for. There are other species which tolerate higher temps, but they are either aquatic or semi-aquatic.

I am going to the Tampa Repticon this weekend.... chance they will not have any... I have a set up all ready for a new salamander... I am doubting they will have any Tylototriton spp , but I will check....

Does anyone breed them here?

Well I ended up with a beautiful female Tomato Frog.... I have the 6 firebellys and the 3 yellow spotted sallies.... but I really couldn't resist her... So problem solved I suppose.

I live in Florida too! :) I want to get some newts, but don't have the money or space for them. I also want some yellow spotted. I think that would be the species i would get. and i was at the tampa expo too! ;D i didn't see any newts.. but i wasn't looking too hard. and i'm new to this hobby, so i can't help much with this question, but seems like you already got some help from the experts! :)

Yes she is very cute... She has puffed up but hasn't made any noises yet. She seems to like earthworms best, but doesnt seem interested in pinkies at all.... She is HUGE and bright!

I know I'm late to the party but....

Any of the glutinosus complex (P. grobmani is native to FL), E. guttolineata, or even E. longicauda tolerate temps up to 78°F. There is a reason these are referred to as "summer sals" to seasoned herpers.

I´d disagree about the slimies. However, if they can borrow deep they seem to be moderately tolerant. Mine gets stressed when temps get over 24ºC, though (luckily it never lasts long).

I'm fortunate enough to live in the range of at least 3 species of slimies (even more if you consider the whole glutinosus complex). I don't find them with any regularity until the temps reach, and stay above, 72-74°F. I've looked through a decade and a half of my herping field notes and can say with confidence that slimies can take, and almost seem to prefer, warmer weather.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back