Axolotls driviing

dcoop0361

Reaction score
Country
United States
If i had a coolin pack and a sealed container or small tank would my axies and newts survive a long car ride cuz im goin down 2 florida for a vacation and my breeder is also there and this way i dont have to pay the extra shipping cost..

I don't know how far away you are from Florida, but lots of people have successfully transported their axolotls on long car journeys. They use cool boxes + take spare water (also kept in the cool box, so they can do water changes at the same temperature) Have a browse on the forum + see what other stuff they've used ;)

lol thnx for the info..im from maryland

For newts, the easiest and safest approach is to pack them in a plastic container with small vent holes and wet paper towels (not water). For axolotls, they need water and air, but also need to be packed so that "sloshing" is minimized and you don't get water all over your car. I would not recommend using an actual glass aquarium, it's too bulky and could be broken. And keeping both in a cooler with cold packs or ice is a good idea, but be sure that they tubs are not directly in contact with the ice.

Sorry - means nothing to me. Not because I'm ignorant as such - I just have truely pathetic geography skills. I'm in the UK + constantly get muddled with the counties here too :rolleyes:
oh well its about 13 hour drive

i drove 12 hrs from South Carolina to Ohio, i did it with a half full 10gal aqruaum and everytime i stoped for gas i put more ice in the tank (had the shippin bag i got him in) my axi was 2in at the time and when i take em back to SC im going to put him in a tall tupperware in a cooler with ice of some sort.

just make sure the water stays cold and not all over your car!!!!

good luck

Don't let your axolotls drive; their puny arms can't properly manipulate the steering wheel.

Lol.

And they won't be able to reach the pedals :S

:eek:

I'm not sure *I'd* survive a 13 hour drive. I could get to Poland in that time...

In 13 hours I couldn't even drive to the border of Western Australia let alone another state. If you want to drive to Sydney, it's a good 5 days drive with stops for resting, etc.

you could probably get away with changing the water a few times on a trip like that. If possible, take water from the same source that the axies tank gets filled from, treated of course. This eliminates the need of having to find a water source on the way and helps keep stress to a minimum.

Use a decent sized container, inside a esky with a cold source like a ice brick or something. Coushon the sontainer with wads of scrunched up newspaper and punch some holes inn the lid of the container. And as above, don't le the container come in direct contact with the cold source.

Jawdrop. Places that aren't England are big. BIG.

Jawdrop. Places that aren't England are big. BIG.

Yep. The UK will fit into the state of Western Australia alone just over 10 times. WA Also covers almost a third of the Australian continent. We even have cattle stations up north that are bigger than some African countries.

Don't let your axolotls drive; their puny arms can't properly manipulate the steering wheel.

Lol.

Plus they'd be stopping every 2 minutes to dig in the verges for worms. It'd take AGES to get there.

..Not to mention the fact that you'd have to fill the entire car with water, and therefore have a water-tight car... :D

I should stop reading this thread with a cup of tea, it's making a terrible mess from all the laughing! :lol:

you are having a cuppa at ten past eight?!

I'm just having dinner! Lol

Think I should be the founding member of tea-aholics anonymous, drink a fair bit. Enjoy your dinner :)

lol im glad 2 see everybody enjoying my post

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back