FYI: This sickens me

vlcuXX

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Display Name
vlcuXX
I was browsing through axolotl vids on youtube and came across this, YouTube - ‪Axolotls‬‏ This video shows just how stupid of an idea of mixing axolotls of different sizes together is in the older leucistic axie eats a small golden albino :( R.I.P reply and lemme know what you guys think, because it angers me :mad:

That is so awful, that poor little golden albino. :( As well as mixing sizes why are there so many in one tank?! and is that GRAVEL there on?!

They have to be from a pet shop, as the video gives a link where you can get them from!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea there is waaaaay to many axies in one tank, i think they're on sand...hopefully im right D:
Yea i think they are from that pet shop, although i would definetely buy one because im so desperate to have a lucy as here in Ontario its hard to get them (was lucky enough to get 2 wildtypes) i would definetely have to think about it and the health it would arrive in....

people like this shouldn't be allowed to keep animals sick sick b******s!!! And to top otioff they obviously think it is funny to film it! Makes me think they have done it on purpose.
Things like this upset me, im selling babies at the moment and the thought of someone buying them to do something like this horrifies me. Id love to meet this person, I think violence would probably be involved!!

TELL ME ABOUT IT, violence would definetely be the only way to solve it i think, and it does sicken me that they filmed it, Omg i would so buy like 3 of ur baby lotls but im in Canada T_T.... I love (sarcasm implied) how it says on the axolotl care sheet on their site that the only other tank mate you can have are other *SAME SIZED* axolotls.... THAT MAKES NO SENCE AT ALL!

Last edited:
They shouldn't be allowed to keep them, let alone sell them. Looking at the reviews from the site they must be the made up ones. Horrible people, make me sick. Agreed, violence is a necessity. Grrr!

Just FYI: The person/shop the video refers to has been banned from this forum for some weeks.

I watched the video and didn't see any Axolotls eating any others...what point of the video did this happen?

Kaysie: Didnt know that, but its good to hear :)

Eric: Yea a little golden albino got eaten by a Leucistic axie at around 20 seconds into the video i think

Ooops sorry Kaysie, didn't know that, sorry I put the link! Thought we might be able to do something if they hadn't been heard of!

Still shocked at the mixture of sizes though.

Just so people know: If you go and buy animals from this pet shop, you will be supporting their behavior. If you don't condone this, you shouldn't buy animals from them, no matter how much you'd like them. There are plenty of private breeders here who keep their animals healthy and cannibal-free. In fact, one member just posted an ad specifically selling leucistic axolotls in Ontario.

That is so sad! It was such a pretty little golden too!

Now I'm worried about the other small axolotls they have in there :/

This will not be popular but I don't see anything wrong with feeding axies to axies. It happens in nature all the time for thousands of years. Adult axies feeding small axies is just nature doing its thing. A expensive meal but a natural one. Cannibalism happens in every vernal pool and pond across North America. I don't understand why seeing nature work upsets people.

Because in such cases, it can be prevented, even if it is natures' way, it's not really part of the food chain.

Plus, the axie's would probably not have done so if it had been fed fully and satiated.

I agree with Bill... I think that way more people on this forum feed one caudates with other caudates (like giving adult Plethodon cinereus as food for Pseudotriton ruber), and i don't see reason why axolotls should be an exception. Because they're cute? At least those on the video aren't wild captured. If someone bred axies, it's his/her business what does he/she do with his/her offsprings.

Because in such cases, it can be prevented, even if it is natures' way, it's not really part of the food chain.
They don't have to be the part of food chain, but cannibalism in nature is a FACT and it happens all the time in almost all caudate species.

Plus, the axie's would probably not have done so if it had been fed fully and satiated.
They don't have a morality, they eat what they consider food. If they're more hungry they are just able to eat things that usually are not "tasty" for them. And i am pretty sure that axies ARE tasty for bigger axies.

Last edited:

They all look well fed to me. It looks more like a reflex action.

I'm not quite sure why someone would allow that to happen though. Seeing as he obviously runs a business it seems pretty stupid to allow all his stock to eat eachother. Not really very good advertisement either.

Although this happens all the time in nature, its preventable and not needed to keep the other axies well-fed , as other food is available, I dont give a ****, pardon my language if she/he bred them or not, its not fair to the little babies to pass away especially after all the limbs are grown. Also Thanks Kaysie i would actually never buy from them i just pmed Ian , hopefully he can deliver 1 or 2 older lotls :D

Last edited:
Axolotls eat whatever fits in their mouths. Everything is food to them. They don't look and say "look how cute that little guy is". They say "that looks good to eat".

Exactly my point but this can be evaded by keeping them seperated by sizes so this doesnt happen -_-

I know we are told not to humanise axie behaviour, but this entire forum is how to best look after the captive axolotl. I agree that in the wild this happens all the time, but we do go out of our way to make sure the tank is big enough, that they are divided if necessary, they are fed enough - if not by hand and individually, in an effort to make sure that this sort of thing doesn't happen. In my opinion people have a duty to keep animals in the best possible way, I'm not sure that business owner has done what is necessary to give the quality of life the axie should (have) had.
It does have to be the worse sort of advertising, apparently they are all out of stock - wonder why?!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back