Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

HELP! Possible emergency!

elninca

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I just got home from work and Inca appears to have white patches on her gills (like the dreaded fungus I keep hearing about). Attached is a photo of her gills close up.
PLEASE tell me I'm imagining things! please please please!
El :eek:

Attachments

• Inca 011.jpg
    Inca 011.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 147

iChris

Reaction score
to me, it doesn't seem like anything to worry about, white or lighter patches could be a result of color pigments in inca's skin.

Fungus appears as white-greyish patches of what looks like cotton wool growing on your axies skin and usually only appears when your axie is stressed or unwell.

Keep a close watch on it though, as when it does come on, it comes on fast.

Loobylou

Reaction score
I can't see any fungus. Fungus looks like cotton wool, to be honest to me they just look like normal gills. My golden has shiney white patches on his gills and it's just his colouring.

scooty16

Reaction score
Loobylou and iChris are right, I think it's just skin colouration. Just keep an eye on her, and watch out for any cotton wool like substance. :happy:

elninca

Reaction score
thanks guys, if it changes I'll take another photo and post it to get your opinion. It's a really sudden change of colouring....? :confused:

Other than that she's really well.
And I don't think she's sick... or stressed... In fact I think she's pretty mellow right now. She's discovered she can fit into the pot I put in her tank and hasn't moved out from it all day haha.

I recently added a plant to her tank. I washed it thoroughly before I put it in her tank.
Could a plant give her fungus?

Loobylou

Reaction score
If she is resting more than usual, that might be why you've just noticed them. When they are moving around the blood flow through their gills increases and their gills look darker. When my little guy rests it's easy to see the white patches, and when he swims around his gills go bright red and they aren't very noticeable.

elninca

Reaction score
Wow... Inca is a constant source of amazement to me. She is so much more complicated than I thought she was... :eek:

Thanks for the info Loobylou! I shall explain to Inca she needs to move around more otherwise I'm going to have a heart attack lol :D

iChris

Reaction score
the fact that your axie is not active during the day is a good sign.

they are very mellow during the day, and become active in the evening and during the night. this is when they trash tanks and poop everywhere.

if your axie is too active during the day that could be a problem.

elninca

Reaction score
I am yet to see poop in her tank... should I be concerned?

God... A constipated Axie haha

Boo Penguin

Reaction score
Thats right axi's are lazy lazy creatures who like to sleep in late and party hard at night.

If they're kept in a place which doesn't get too much natural light you'll see more activity during the day but if there's sun axi's tend to be snoozing or hiding.

Gotta be careful too if you flick a light on during the night, it can give then quite a shock. Just like it does for humans when there is a sudden bright light in an otherwise dark room.

Also poop breaks down pretty easily, I can sometimes go for a week or more without seeing a poop and then I'll find a fresh one... but mostly they break down before I can get to them and my filter has to deal.

iChris

Reaction score
the pebbles you have in that tank will be hiding a great deal of waste after a while, so you probably just haven't seen any poop yet if inca has passed some.

I can also go a week or more without seeing any. then out of the blue, I'll wake up one morning and find the tank littered with the stuff.

as for axie constipation, they tend to stop eating and float. you'll know that your axie is due to poop as it will seem more "buoyant" that usual.

elninca

Reaction score
thanks for the info everyone - you guys are the reason why Inca is still alive - without any doubt.

Thanks for being so patient and answering all my questions.

Inca's tank is in my room which has a verandah in front of the window = very little sun. Even so, she seems to take it really slow during the day, and then liven up a lot at night.
For some reason, however, she has really slowed down tonight. Maybe she partied too hard during the day? I know I didn't open my curtains to keep the cold air out, so maybe she decided that the dark room was night and it was play time ALL day haha.

I'll let you know if she continues being lazy.

scooty16

Reaction score
Yeah I didn't see a poop in my axie's tank for a while, and then last night I peaked in, and there was a great big stinker lurking in the background.

ashmac5

Reaction score
Mine poop all over my silk plants :( sure they do it on purpose........

My axie's gills are currently bushy and bright reddy pink as they have been swimming about and eating but when they have been lying on the bottom their gills look almost the same colour as their body, then WHOOOOOSH they fill with blood when they see a wiggly iggly worm being waved above them :D

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I startled my dude last night with dinner. I felt a little bad.

As for poop, it's pretty rare for me to actually find intact poop. It disintegrates within an hour or so. You're going to have to be really diligent about cleaning under your pebbles. They'll trap a LOT of mulm (that's a scientific word for poop breakdown and other tank-junk). Stir them up when you do water changes.

elninca

Reaction score
I will keep that in mind for the next tank water change.

Question: How often should I clean the tank?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1