Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Photo: VERY REASONABLE pet store conditions!

Aimzs Lotties

Reaction score
I am very impressed with the set-up at my local pet store! Of the 3 in the area, these are by far the best conditions! :D

3 axies in an approx 3ft. Plenty of hides, no live plants though.. Can't win them all eh? They even have a care sheet on the tank. :)

There have been up to 6 in here before, but still WAY better than most pet stores.

Although they ARE selling them for almost $50 AUD!

Anyways I figured since we are always complaining about dodgy pet stores, I should speak for the very rare, good ones! :D

Attachments

• IMAG1040.jpg
    IMAG1040.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 406

mewsie

Reaction score
Its nice to see, and good to get some positivity on here about good stores!

It looks like that store owner is fond of their axolotls, even if they don't stay for long :)

(now, if it only said WORMS on that care sheet :p)

hacelepues

Reaction score
So nice to see!
I've never seen an axie at a fish store in the US.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
The only time I've seen them in the US at a pet shop is when I've sold them to that pet shop. I'm glad to see this post!

Bobert

Reaction score
In every shop that ive been to that sells Axolotls, every one has kept them in relatively poor conditions which is quite sad, especially when you can tell by the gills they are not healthy. I really do get annoyed when i read some of the care sheets pet shops will provide and they are totally wrong and inaccurate like the shop by me which states they can live quite happily with goldfish.

memojo1979

Reaction score
Why not add it to the testimonials section of caudata.org? It's at the bottom of the Forum Index page :happy:
Plus, if you let them know that you're recommending them + send them a link, you never know, but they might offer a freebie or a discount for your promotion of them (not saying they will, but it can't hurt to try, LoL!)
And, even more importantly, they might decide to stick around + have a browse of caudata.org, which might give them a few tips they hadn't thought of + improve the conditions of their axies even further (I know, I'm getting carried away now, but y'never know - it COULD happen, since they must care about them!) ;)

Aimzs Lotties

Reaction score
Mojo,
Done! They are in the testimonials section. :D It didn't show up yet though, think it needs to be checked by supervisors or whatever.. :)

yellowpebble

Reaction score
Yeah every pet store here sells them! But I have never seen them in good conditions like that before EVER! All I have ever seen is them kept on gravel, no hides, bright light and strong filter. The worst i saw was a tiny albino male who had OBVIOUSLY swallowed rocks, they were dark blue and you could see them through his tummy! he was so skinny and floating and close to death :( its so nice this pet store is keeping them so well! it shows that these guys actually care for their animals instead of caring for only money. That is probably why they are a little bit more expensive, because it costs a bit extra to keep them in the right conditions... hence why "normal" pet shops don't. Thanks for posting it here, its restored my faith a tiny bit :D

Aimzs Lotties

Reaction score
So I asked the fish & axie expert at Best Friends where they get their axies and they said they had a contract with 'Aquarium Industries' and get all their fish etc. there.

I went on the site and they have a great axie care sheet! http://www.aquariumindustries.com.au/Assets/45/1/MexicanWalkingFish.pdf

Also last time I was in store (just before closing) I noticed that they turn the light off for the axies at night time (but not the other fish, or at least not as early) AND they had tweezers on top of their tank, meaning they obviously hand feed, which is GREAT! :D

mewsie

Reaction score
I was reading the care sheet thinking 'yay, they recommend worms...' then came the 'earthworms can bury themselves in the gravel...'

So. Close.

It's sweet that they turn out the light for the axolotls!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1