Succesful Breeding of Green Salamanders

sirus14

Reaction score
Country
United States
You may be able to recall a thread I posted awhile back on a herping trip where i found plnty of green salamanders. On that trip i brought back a green that over time I determined to be a female. A year later I went back to the same area and climbed a different mountain to a new spot i saw with some binoculars. on the peak was a cluster of sandstone boulders and I ended up finding plenty more greens. From this spot I brought back a nice large male. The two have lived together in a 10 gallon i set up with sandstone, dirt,and plants from te area ifound them in. I also taped up the back with black electrical tape to keep light from getting into the aquarium from behind the rock. this setup proved to work. I planned on trying to breed them eventually but im guessing because they were next to a window they had just enough "cycling" to give me a happy accident.

heres a picture of their set up
FAL_2430.jpg

here is the Male
greensalamandermalepictwo.jpg

greensalamandermalepicone.jpg

here is the female, you can barely see the eggs on the far left
IMAG0078.jpg

here is the eggs that I can see with the camera
IMAG0081.jpg

This is the boulder the female came out of. I also saw about 14 more in this rock
P3130008.jpg

Please comment with advice and critique. Im going to let the female take over guarding the eggs.

Thanks,
Taylor Pfanstiel

Side note

These salamanders were all legally collected on a privately owned property in Kentucky. Kentucky's laws allow me to keep up to five as we have no special protection for these species.

Your soooo lucky! In Maryland we can't collect any or own any :( Congrats on the breeding!

Very cool and congrats. Try not to disturb her too much and but keep us posted. It's nice to finally see some additional success with these.

Very cool! Keep us updated on their development.

I just lost my second clutch of A. aeneus eggs this week :(

Hopefully next year i will be able to try again. The female ate all of the eggs.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back