Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Large Lump/Pale Gills

priesty

Reaction score
I started a thread called pale gills (see info in op)

I have just spotted this tho, dies it look normal or is there a lump??

5ac16c0b-ea7d-88e2.jpg

That one is through the glass of the tank, this next one is a birdseye view

5ac16c0b-eab7-e9fe.jpg

I'm not sure if I'm being paranoid but I'm getting really worried :(

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Other than looking a bit thin, I don't see anything wrong with your axie. Her gills look fine, not pale at all.

priesty

Reaction score
Well there not like this any more

Before

5ac16c0b-f321-2f6c.jpg

After

5ac16c0b-f386-a9fe.jpg

So you think there isn't any issues with the right hand side of her body???

Linus

Reaction score
Ahh! Not good!! Never put anything the axie can fit in his mouth in the tank! Can you feel an object in there? Short of x-rays it's tough to tell, if it is a rock fridging should help your axie pass the stone.

vlcuXX

Reaction score
My Axolotl's gills change colour a little bit depending on their surroundings, like when i change they're tank sand or decorations, and the before picture looks like u changed the substrate therefor maybe her gills changed depending on that.

priesty

Reaction score
surely they are to big to be eaten? :eek::confused:

If it is that big will see be able to poop it out??

I havent touched here so I don't know.

I have changed the bottom but the other one is fine and still eating, Mia hasn't eaten for about 2weeks now

priesty

Reaction score
Hmmm

thats not good.

I've put in bloodwork to see if see will eat that instead of a worm but I think i'm gonna have to give the vet a call.....

Do you think I should fridge here in the mean time?

Last edited:

Linus

Reaction score
If he's impacted fridging will help her pass the stone. Assuming it is passable, I'm not sure what size stone its ingested.

Is it pooping?

hacelepues

Reaction score
Usually after I feed my axies their pellets I can see little lumps moving around on their torso for the next few hours until they poop it all out! But that looks a little too big.

Is she floating at all?

priesty

Reaction score
not floating at all, she's been walking and swimming around like normal. cant tell if she's been pooping but she hasn't eaten for about a 2weeks, I didn't really notice the lump until today :(

tbh 'm expecting the worst, she's in the fridge now but if she die's i'm going to get rid of her partner :(

Linus

Reaction score
Well - slow down! Fridging may help! Fridging will let you know if she is pooping :p Put extra water in the fridge to do daily water changes at the same temp. If you can gently feel her lumpy area you should be able to feel if it is moving and could be something she ingested. I believe the axy in the x-ray pic I showed you was able to spit up the stone after fridge treatment for a while. This is what fridging is for! Now you know what not to put in the axies tanks! It's all learning, no one is perfect.

Keep us updated!

priesty

Reaction score
Still no luck with this, she's been in the fridge since wednesday and I'm doing daily water changes, the first day I changed there was poop in the bowl however since then there hasn't really been much of anything :/

5ac16cf3-b123-d81f.jpg

priesty

Reaction score
Been to the vet today, had a x-ray which confirmed that it's not impactation which depending on which way you look at it isn't good or bad :/

They seem to think it's a issues with her kidneys but I have to call them in a couple of days, If the lump is still there and it's still purple there gonna look to send her to the local zoo and there exotic expert.

Crysta

Reaction score
Axolotl organs tend to be purple. Sometimes axies do get a little lumpy - redness in the gills tends to be directly related to activity (more activity, more blood flow)

And yes Aura, if i remember correctly that axie did recover - but the stone was extracted.

The fact it isn't a blockage is only good news. Looking at your story, there doesn't seem to be anything serious wrong here. If the behavior is fine and un-changed (minus small changes for stress from being moved around a lot, and the effects of fridging) I really wouldn't worry right now.

She needs a good environment with good husbandry and lots of observation, not to be transported when there's no real reason for it - transportation is a very stressful thing for axolotls. It's possible that there's fluid build up inside her. Your vet doesn't seem very Axolotl savvy (from the still purple thing). You will need an axolotl savvy vet regardless of any problems.

Axolotls often get lumps on their sides - they are not a straight through system, they have digestive systems that are all twisty and silly like ours. I would suspect it's food/poop going through her system or fluid build up.

Last edited:

priesty

Reaction score
Well she's finally died :(

Came home from work and I guess with the hot conditions and the fact she hadn't eaten for about a month it's finally took it out of her :(

Ive taken a photo of her underside and you can really she the purple, i can post it if anybody is interested in her symptoms.

:(

RIP Mia.

Crysta

Reaction score
Sorry for you loss, priesty. Sometimes these things happen for no clear reason - it's important we don't blame ourselves. You did a lot for her, and you have the right attitude, i'm sure you're a great axolotl keeper who's just had a bad experience. I hope you don't get rip of her partner - i'm sure you'll do an amazing job with them.

The temp has gone up a few Cs here in the UK the resulting jump in ambient temperature could have taken her in her weakened state. You did the right thing looking for advice and taking her to the vets.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1