Question: Will he be okay?

munchbunch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Katie
I just came home after being out for about 3 hours and I looked at my tank and couldn't see one of my axolotls; after searching about and moving my filter I found him wedged between the side of the filter and the tank wall! He's only about 2 inches long and my rough guess would be he's just a couple of months old. I have no idea how long he's been stuck there but he seemed to swim out okay and i'm now worried that if he was stuck for a while he might be stressed. I've also noticed that the middle gill on his right side is a bit bent and all his gills are very 'flat'/pushed back.

Will he be okay and would this have stressed him out? He seems to be a bit more active than he usually is but that might be because he's been stuck.. Thanks for any help!

He should be fine :) They do get themselves into scrapes sometimes!

Youngsters have an incredible capacity for healing anyway, but it sounds like your little guy is just a bit weirded out by it.

Keep an eye on him and watch for any injuries or strange behaviour, otherwise, just keep him cool and calm and see if he fancies a bit of food :)

Thanks a lot, he seems to be back to his normal ways. I recently lowered the water level in my tank and by doing so had to push the filter to the bottom - I think they miss sitting underneath it so i'm going to raise it again tomorrow! I just worry about them being a first time axie owner and all :eek:

He will be fine, they love getting into any weird gaps they can, maybe being antisocial axolotl:) x

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back