Long-term use of styrofoam (Polystyrene)

JKoz

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have read alot about using Polystyrene and Great Stuff and for an enclosure. I have a spotted salamander.

Doesn't that stuff let off harmful vapors or something? Acrylic paint seems more neutral but I'd like to know about that toooo.... :eek:

I only want to create a background to slide in but still....

Thanks!

I have read alot about using Polystyrene and Great Stuff and for an enclosure. I have a spotted salamander.

Doesn't that stuff let off harmful vapors or something? Acrylic paint seems more neutral but I'd like to know about that toooo.... :eek:

I only want to create a background to slide in but still....

Thanks!

I know that burning styrofoam does let off toxic vapors. Styrofoam takes millions of years to break down so I would not forsee any problems with it but, given that salamanders are so suseptible to toxins I don't trust styrofoam. It's really a nasty petro-chemical made from oil...

Perhaps someone who has more experience with great stuff can shed a little more light on the subject.

I found some interesting info about non-toxic paints on this website:
Non-toxic Paint Info, Green Building, Polyurethane toxicity, wood finish Info, Sustainability, Safe

They suggest a nano-polymer acrylic.:confused:

Thanks for the answers.

I have her (Spotted Sal) in a nice glass aquarium terrarium setup with plenty of ice, keeping it down to 55/60C so she is VERY happy. :proud:

In the future, I want to build my own, in a super-cool piece I got from Sam's, kind of an iron and glass creation that is just begging to be a terrarium.

I may get a lizard or something for that, because in the winter, it gets really warm in that room, so I want to be able to move her to a cool room. Don't worry, she will always be my favorite. :p

Okay, done rambling... thanks again!

JK

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back