Duckweed

yellowpebble

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Rachel
Duckweed seems to be the bane of many aquarium keepers, although I am thinking of getting some in my axie tank. I like the green carpet look and the little roots that hang down.

Most people complain that it reduces light in their aquarium and cuts too much ammonia, both needed for other plants in the aquarium. But axies like little light and no ammonia, and we are limited to what we can grow in the tank anyway due to the low light/heat conditions needed for an axolotl tank anyway. It also spreads like crazy.

I think duckweed would be great for my tank, although everyone seems to hate it. Should i go through with this? is it really as terrible as everyone says? Anyone with duckweed experience?

will it clog my filter even if the intake is on the bottom of the tank?

duckweed floats so it probably wouldn't be a problem for your filter. The only problem I had with duckweed is when you're trying to do waterchanges, or mess with anything in your tank and you pull your hand out and its covered in the stuff. I also don't think it does much for the water quality, which is the only reason why i have plants. It will help block out the light, so if you like the look, it definitely will not hurt. All plants actually use ammonium, so duckweed is not unique in this regards, if you're looking for a plant that sucks out nutrients from the tank, a large stem plant like water wisteria or hornwort will probably do a better job. I've only used duckweed for the looks.

Duckweed is fine. I have one tank completely coated in the stuff and my axies love it! but it does get very messy when taking things out or putting things in. The duckweed always gets stuck all over my arm and pretty much anything that touches it :(.

A good alternative that I have just upgraded to is frogbit (frogbit amizonia to be specific.. i think). Its like mini floating water lillies, great for keeping ammonia, nitrates etc under control, it's a good filter in the light, doesn't get caught in my filters, has lovely roots and is great for baby axies to hide in but doesn't get stuck to your arm. Oh yeah, it also spreads pretty quickly too:grin:.

I have it in my axolotl tank, and would rather not have it. It sticks to the sides of the tank when the water level drops, covers me when doing the water changes..and somehow it does get into my filter ( where it seems quite happy).
I did have Frogbit in a previous tank and did quite like it, but can't remember why I don't have it now :confused:

I tried frog bit, but it died back fast in both my tanks. (my axie tank and a planted tropical tank) I just could not get it to grow.

I did have duckweed years ago, and it does grow fast in high light, but probably will grow slower in a axie tank.

just be sure to check that it's not considered a weed in your state. you don't want to go flushing it down drains when you do your water changes and risking it getting into the local waterways.

Are there any other floating plants that are safe for Axolotls? I had considered duckweed for a few seconds before i thought about it getting everywhere and spot cleaning the tank cant be easy, read some where water lettuce was ok, are there any more lily type ones?

I grow what look exactly like water lilies, but smaller in my tank. I have no idea what they are called though. I can upload some pics if you like.

i float water wisteria, cabomba and hornwort in my tank

this is all awesome guys thakyou! i would like all of these plants :D i just cant get any here apart from duckweed which i found on ebay

I like duckweed in my axy tanks, when i get too much surface coverage though (about 50%) i net it out. It grows like mad in my tropical tank as well and im removing some of it every week but my baby guppies and snails seem to like it. Amazonian frog bit looks good to , i got my first plants today so i cant comment on how it survives or grows.

I grow what look exactly like water lilies, but smaller in my tank. I have no idea what they are called though. I can upload some pics if you like.
Sounds cool! I'd very much like to have something akin to lilly pads in my tank - if you could find out what they were called, or if somebody else knows some surface-floating plants available in the UK let me know :happy:
Thanks!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back