Illness/Sickness: Stones in the pet stores axi tank

axigeek

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Beck
I went to my local pet store today to get Gem a friend. I spotted a beautiful little leucistic who was stressing and wanted to get out of the tank. I came over and said hi and she swam right up to me :happy: So, I decided I wanted to buy her and take her home.

I got the attention of one of the shop assistants and I pointed out which one I wanted. It was only then that we discovered that she had a stone in her mouth! I was shocked! I yelled out to another store assistant, who called for one of the vets. The vet checked her out and although she spat the stone in her mouth out, she has one in her stomach :sad: I left my details and was told I would receive a call next week.

The pet store is going to make it a bare bottom tank now, but its a shame its too late. It was heart breaking watching her stress out and be in pain :cry:

Sounds adorable!
Just hope they can get it out.
Are they calling you to let you know how its going and if he will be okay?
Must say he was lucky you were there.
Hope everything goes well for the poor little guy.

It's a girl. I know that cause I checked :p I dont want eggs in my tank thank you :happy: Yeah, they said give her a week and they will call me. Until then, she's reserved under my name, so I already feel like she's my axolotl. I worry that she wont make it :(

Sorry she*
Im suprized how little pet shops know about all this! You would think when they keep so many animals they would at least know the basics.
I think it was good you were straight onto it and that they were that quick to get the vet.
glad they are taking your advice and taking the gravel out

im sure she will be alright =) but let us know how she goes.

Best of luck :eek:

I went to the pet store to check up on the axi and I can't believe it! The pet store actually took my advice and took out the stones! There was 3 axi's in the tank and the one I wanted has passed some stones, which is good, but I might pick her up next week :happy:

Yay a friend for Gem! What are you going to call her? Oh and is she a pink or white leucistic? :D

I'm pretty sure she's a pink leucistic. I've already got another axi in with Gem, the pics are in the gallery/tank set ups, and so far, they're not fighting, but not friendly either. I do know that the pink leucistic and Copper (as I've given up to calling her) seemed ok together in the pet store tank, so I will definitely pick her up next week and I'm sure she'll blend in fine :happy:

3 axi's to a 4ft tank? Should be ok ;)

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back