Attached by cat

Sarasaurs

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Sarah:P
My friends axey was attached by his cat yesterday. She was cut down the lenght of her body and her swim bladder has come out of its body but its still attached. Shes not dead and seems to be okay for whats happening to her. But we are really worried, and im not sure if vets in Australia know how to treat axes.

Can anyone help? We dont now how long she will last if left untreated...... Please

I doubt a salt bath will help this axolotl out, cats claws are covered with bugs, seek vet care asap, phone around and see if you can find a vet who knows about amphibians and/or check aussie pet forums for recommendations.

hey everyone,
just an update on zifa (the axolotl that was attacked by the cat. I went to my friends house and zifa's doing better. She started to suck in her swimbladder at the wound is getting better. We are not sure when and if we should put her in a salt bath, because we are worried it may hurt her insides. If anyone has any ideas they would be appriecated.
Thaks Sarah.
(P.S) we can find a vet who works with axolotls anywhere near here.

We are not sure when and if we should put her in a salt bath, because we are worried it may hurt her insides.

It might be a discomfort to her, but cats have loads of bacteria under their nails, and cat scratches get infected very easily.
So it might be better that she has the discomfort from the salt, rather than risking an infection.
I'm inexperienced in aquatic animal care, so someone might need to second this before you take my word for it.

Axolotls don't have a swim bladder, so it was some other part of the anatomy. Here is a list of herp vets in AU
Herp Vets in Australia
It will have a better chance if it gets professional care. Good luck with it!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back