Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Need tortoise ID

chemgrl08

Reaction score
Hello all, I need a favor. A friend of mine found a tortoise crawling on the road in her suburban neighborhood, and we're trying to identify what kind it is. I advised my friend to just move it off the road and let it be, but it seems her family did not feel comfortable letting it crawl around amidst so many roads with busy traffic. I am worried that it might be a Gopher Tortoise, which is an endangered species (to my knowledge.) We want to find a good place to let it go (if its a wild animal) or find an appropriate rescue if it is an escaped/released pet species. I think the little guy shouldn't have been moved, but what's done is done. Plus, there was really a lot of traffic in the area. If its a pet species (Russian tortoise, for ex.) I would be concerned.
This animal was found in southern Florida, pictures attached. He is about a foot long from tail to head on the carapace. Let me know if you need any other info. Thanks all.

Attachments

• IMG_0651.jpg
    IMG_0651.jpg
    226.2 KB · Views: 273
  • IMG_0648.jpg
    IMG_0648.jpg
    259.8 KB · Views: 226
  • IMG_0649.jpg
    IMG_0649.jpg
    230.1 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_0650.jpg
    IMG_0650.jpg
    227 KB · Views: 216
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 218

Tim Robin

Reaction score
I would bet it is a Gopher tortoise, native to Florida. I can tell you for certain it is not a Russian, Greek, Hermanns, or Sulcata. I would suggest they contact local fish and game about relocating it. Or simply let it go near where they found it.

FrogEyes

Reaction score
Looks like a gopher tortoise to me. Certainly not a steppe [Russian], though you express the same concern as I have, that in FL you never know what species could show up. However, most of the exotic tortoises I can think of have distinctive colors or shell shapes compared to this one.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!