Breeding Success

wargar

Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
Dave
Hi

I have kept FB Newts for 5 years now, 3 females and 2 males in a large setup.
I have never had much luck with the youngsters, up to this year only 3 had made it to adulthood, however every year I have learned more.
This year I have 41 mophed youngsters, all eating and thriving. I left them in the large tank for up to a week after they have hauled themselves out onto the cork islands. I then transfer them to smaller 7.5lt tanks (10 to a tank) with only 2" of water, sponge filtration, and some natural weed that alows them to rest on the suface but not haul out. I plan to leave them in these setups, gradually increasing the water depth as they grow.
They are eating live blood worm and daphnia, all look healthy and are growing.

Dave

A couple of pics.

Newt3-1.jpg

Newt5-1.jpg

Dave

That's brilliant - well done. What size did your animals metamorphose at?

C

They were all about the inch mark when they morphed. Then I moved them to shallow setups like this.

Newt7-1.jpg

Newt4-1.jpg

They are now all about the 1 and a half inch mark and growing fast.

Dave

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back