Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Triturus cristatus and Lissotriton vulgaris

rethgar

Reaction score
As Azhael recently pointed out I should have shared some photos I took a while ago :p But in the interests of not highjacking Molch's thread here they are...

These are some I found kicking around recently after a camera spring clean.

Apologies for the lack of clarity on some they were in pond water! The L. vulgaris in the pitfall trap was an interesting colour vatiation I found a few years ago. The others (a mixture of T. cristatus and L. vulgaris) all came out of the same pond which was pretty heavily vegetated (almost 100% Typha) The final 2 T. cristatus were taken this year and came form a much nicer pond.

Attachments

• 3 smooth newts Exton Estate.jpg
    3 smooth newts Exton Estate.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 677
  • DSC01141.jpg
    DSC01141.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 429
  • Orange Newt North Muskham.JPG
    Orange Newt North Muskham.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 431
  • DSC01146.jpg
    DSC01146.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 649
  • DSC01149.jpg
    DSC01149.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 396
  • DSC01160.jpg
    DSC01160.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 361
  • IMG_1982.jpg
    IMG_1982.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 928
  • IMG_1989.jpg
    IMG_1989.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 1,544

Molch

Reaction score
lovely critters. How much fun it is to dip into a pond and see them all in their best Sunday-courting-dress. Is that orange thing a vulgaris female? Interesting color....it almost looks like someone emancipated a noto eft... :)

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you for uploading them!
Those are some gorgeous animals. I can never have enough of L.vulgaris in breeding dress, they are just amazing. That cristatus is also an spectacular animal. I hope to be able to see both species in the wild one day :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1