Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Inhertied possible Paramesotriton, ID confirmation, please?

Herptiles

Reaction score
Hey everyone, long time no post. I'm still maintaining my 1.1 Cynops orientalis (no breeding in the past few years, hoping that in the new flat we'll have better luck) in addition to a bunch of reptiles and fish.

I'm working with a local animal rescue, these newts showed up as "Chinese Firebellies." The previous owner kept this trio in a 10 gallon aquarium with a decent submersed filter and fake plants for something like 8 or 10 years. They've been doing well on a diet of earthworms (we inherited the vermicomposter, as well!), which I am pretty sure are red wigglers. Just got the worms yesterday, need to take a better look at them to be sure. Apparently two of them have bred before, but the larvae never survived the transition to land.

DSCN2593.jpg

I am pretty sure that they are Paramesotriton based on size and wartiness, but would very much appreciate some more experienced eyes taking a peek to confirm.

#1: Possibly P. chinensis?
DSCN2594.jpg

DSCN2596.jpg

DSCN2595.jpg

#2, thinking also P. chinensis:
DSCN2597.jpg

DSCN2598.jpg

DSCN2599.jpg

#3, maybe P. hongkongiensis:
DSCN2600.jpg

DSCN2601.jpg

DSCN2602.jpg

This group has coexisted in the same aquarium for nearly 10 years, apparently the woman was hand-feeding #3 to ensure that he got enough food. I have them in a very similar set-up to keep it as stress-free as possible. Seeing as I just got them yesterday, I haven't done a feeding yet to see what the situation's like. Ideally I'll get them split up by species and put the two conspecifics in a larger, more complex tank.

I would really appreciate any input, here!

Cheers,

RobM

Reaction score
I'm thinking you are right in your assumptions Christina. I would say the first two look like classic P.chinensis with that body shape, colour and warty-ness. The last one probably is P.hongkongiensis on the account of its well defined cranial ridges and that it is less knobbly and warty.

They definitely require a bigger than 10 Gallon aquarium! Good luck with these!

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I would agree, two P.chinensis and one P.hongkongensis. Both species are territorial and agressive, so yeah, give them pleeeeenty of space, preferably more than 20gallons. Either that or separate them, which personally i think is a much better option. Given that they can create hybrids, apart from everything else, it would be wiser to avoid all the risks byt separating them.

The two chinensis look fantastic by the way, beautiful colors and great physical state.

Herptiles

Reaction score
Thanks for the help! I had a feeling that the owner needing to hand-feed one was possibly due to stress, and/or the aggressiveness of the two hefty P. chinensis.

I'm going to wrangle up a 20-30 gallon to transfer the P. chinensis to first. I want to see how the lone P. hongkongiensis eats when there isn't anyone to bother him.

Now, the real challenge will be to find more individuals to work on a breeding group for both species!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1