Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Fast moving stream leading to lake in Maryland

Martin21114

Reaction score
I live right by a fast moving stream in Maryland that has crystal clear water and tons of fish, but I never see any amphibians. The stream ranges in depth from about an inch to a foot, with a couple of deeper (small, 2-3 feet deep) pools where there are waterfalls. the ares is surrounded by forest and home to LOTS of wildlife and i have seen hawks, raccoons, foxes, coyotes, deer, etc...

Our native amphibian species can be seen here:

Salamanders & Newts - Discover Maryland's Herps - Wildlife and Heritage Service - Maryland Department of Natural Resources

and include tiger, marbled, jefferson, spotted, dusky, eastern mud, northern red, 4-toed, green, and red-backed salamanders.

Despite hours of looking I have neither seen any of these salamanders, nor any toads, frogs, newts, tadpoles, etc....

Are these guys that rare now? Is this just the wrong habitat or time to be looking? which species am I most likely to find in and around a medium to fast stream? What about at the lake?

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
This is hypothetical, but the problem might be the fish. Caudates generally avoid inhabiting waters that have fish. That doesn´t solve the mistery of the terrestrial species, but may be part of the problem. It could also be that your area has suffered a local extintion for a variety of reasons, which would be most unfortunate, but it´s unlikely.
Maybe the habitat is not as good as it should be?

I´d love to see pictures if you have any.

FrogEyes

Reaction score
I can think of many examples of salamanders co-occuring with fishes. Odds are that the habitat is either unsuitable, they've been extirpated from the area, or you haven't searched the right places and times often enough. You'll have best success along primary and secondary streams, at springheads and seepages. Once the stream becomes broader, deeper, and more permanent, salamander diversity and numbers decline.

warrior

Reaction score
Could be a few reasons like mentioned the fish may be the problem also have you looked under objects around or in the stream like rocks, logs, any cover for an amphibian to be under? Is this place in the city or country, if in the city a lot of amphibians are disturbed by new developments by the city. Do these streams have plants in them and/or moss, a lot of amphibians need plants to lay eggs on. You can try looking at night with a flashlight especially during or after a rain. Hopefully you find some there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Martin21114

Reaction score
I'll try to take and post some pictures tomorrow. To my untrained eye it looks like the prefect habitat with lots of variety.

Martin21114

Reaction score

Attachments

• IMG_1034.jpg
    IMG_1034.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 643
  • IMG_1051.jpg
    IMG_1051.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 638

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
It looks like the stream and the banks have been remodeled or modified recently. That may very well be the cause of the lack of amphibians. I remember a stream near my grandparent´s house which used to contain a variety of amphibians, like B.bufo, R.temporaria, S.salamandra, L.vulgaris, etc, plus plenty of "rare" native species like kingfishers, eels, salmon, trout, or desman, for example, lost almost all of it´s vertebrate inhabitants after a large part of the banks of the stream were remodeled.

PS: I spent a very significant part of my childhood with my feet in those waters so when i saw the damage i took it badly. It would have been a perfect moment for some rain, lightning and a camera filming from above while i screamed "NooooOOOOOoooooo....".

Martin21114

Reaction score
I was afraid of that. They just spent 3 million dollars to totally rebuild the whole area. I guess long term it will be good because the specifically created marshes, pools, deadwood gardens, etc... it just sucks that they killed everything doing it going ape-$#%^ with a bunch of bulldozers and backhoes.

I'm in the process of changing my garden from a bunch of barren mulch and runoff to a habitat in which i hope to eventually house and breed some local species to hopefully wander off and repopulate the area a bit. I guess I'm getting old and nerdy, but I don't want to talk about amphibians one day like we do dinosaurs. So i try to do little project like this when I can. When I got a few power tools for Christmas I decided to learn some woodworking skills by making bat houses and squirrel nesting boxes lol.

Martin21114

Reaction score
how long do you think it will take for it to recover from surgery, month, years, decades?

rethgar

Reaction score
how long do you think it will take for it to recover from surgery, month, years, decades?

Depends on a variety of things. The overall impacts during the worked and the suitability of adjacent habitats. Sometimes it it takes no longer than a season sometime much much longer. If they carried out the work at entirely the wrong time like during breeding then it could have really badly impacted populations.

eljorgo

Banned
Reaction score
I live right by a fast moving stream in Maryland
Is that what an usually fast moving stream looks like?
Quite strange it looks rather a stagnant pond.

We are used to other kind of fast flowing ones over here; here's a sample:

fastflowingstream4.jpg

fastflowingstream3.jpg

fastflowingstream2.jpg

fastflowingstream.jpg

Cheers,

Martin21114

Reaction score
That looks beautiful Eljorgo. The current in the stream by me isn't real strong, but it is steady. It's fed by stormdrains so when there is a heavy rain it can raise over a foot and flows much faster.

Reaction score
and include tiger, marbled, jefferson, spotted, dusky, eastern mud, northern red, 4-toed, green, and red-backed salamanders.

Tiger, Jefferson's, Marbled, Spotted, Eastern Mud, and Northern Red salamanders all spend most of the year either burrowed just below the surface or deep in the mud, especially the first 5 species there. The habitat in the pictures doesn't look ideal for Green salamanders. You should be able to find 4-toed and Red-backed salamanders, but since the habitat has been recently altered, that is why you are having a hard time finding them.

If you are looking for Ambystomids (Tiger, Jefferson's Marbled, and Spotted) I would looked farther away from the stream back in the more heavily wooded areas. Your best time to see them is in the breeding season when they migrate to ponds.

tclipse

Reaction score
Looks very similar to what we have here in northern VA... next spring, check near that stream and there might be some vernal pools and/or seasonal swamps nearby, that will probably be your best bet from what I've seen around here. Also, go through the stream and turn some rocks, if there are salamanders in the area you might have luck finding some larvae.

Other than eastern newts and P. cinereus, I haven't seen any other species in numbers, but they are definitely here... seen a few spotted & marbled sals around over the years as well as larvae of a few other species (never ID'ed them as I didn't know about this website back then ;)).

Martin21114

Reaction score
We had a lot of rain the past 2 days, so when I went out to walk today I notice the water level was up about 4-5 feet, i have never seen it that high. One of the bridges was covered in debris from being underwater. While walking around I saw 2 toads, they were either southern or american toads, it was hard to tell because I didnt have my light with me.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1