Field Herping Around PA

TheMattSign

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Matthew Middleton
Got out a bit today to do a little field herping, it's been raining pretty heavily for about a week here, a lot of flooding in surrounding areas so as expected there were a lot of salamanders out. Here are some pictures:

Spring Salamander:
DSCN1123.JPG

Slimy Salamander:
DSCN1139.JPG

Red Back Salamander:
DSCN1141.JPG

Dusky:
DSCN1120.JPG

Hope you enjoyed!

You Americans seem to be spoilt for the variety of amphibians you have native to your country, in the Uk we are pretty limited.

You Americans seem to be spoilt for the variety of amphibians you have native to your country, in the Uk we are pretty limited.

Well I guess thats not anything new... always was said america was the most rich zone in the globe in therms of caudates. For each specie of caudata in the UK there are 100 species in USA. Its only 100 times more:D

@ TheMattSign, Nice looking sals, I also do envy you and your country's sals! Neat diversity no doubt, despite all these pics are of the lungless type.;)

We are definitely blessed in our diversity!! Pennsylvania is very good for all sorts of Amphibians.

For each specie of caudata in the UK there are 100 species in USA. Its only 100 times more

Gloating is unattractive and a sign of insecurity lol

The thing is that would be a bad hour of herping in PA!!! LOL

That's true, I actually saw around 30 individuals (20+ Duskies, 2 Slimies, 2 Redbacks and 1 Spring) during my hour out and about yesterday.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back