Jakob
Hi

can someone tell what the attitude of
've found nothing useful on the web

sry if it is incomprehensible, but am not an English geni
and sometimes have to take google translator to aid:blush: sry

Hey Jakob,

if I might help you a little ;)

We have already talked about that in german-speaking platforms. He is looking for information about how to keep the Bolitoglossa (as the title says).
Funny is, that we do not only share the same name, but obviously both are fascinated by the Bolitoglossa.

As it is really hard to find anything (only pictures on caudataculture) about the conditions they are kept in, it would be really exciting for us if you could share experiences, if you kep Bolitoglossa spec.
Of course they are rarely kept (and even less often successfully) but as they are offered even on european markets from time to time we at least wanted to inform ourselves, if we ever get the chance to keep these stunning animals ;)

Best regards,
other Jakob

btw : We are not absolute Beginners.

There isn't much information on the captive care of salamanders in the genus Bolitoglossa because these salamanders tend to die very quickly in captivity (although, I think I'd still try if given the opportunity :rolleyes:).

Here’s a thread about success with Bolitoglossa dofleini:
http://www.caudata.org/forum/f1173-...don-etc/72219-bolitoglossa-dofleini-pics.html

And discussions about keeping Bolitoglossa here:
http://www.caudata.org/forum/f1173-...plethodon-etc/49991-tropical-salamanders.html

These are tricky salamanders to keep alive and by the time they reach the hands of a pet keeper halfway round the world they are often as good as dead. Even experienced keepers have failed. If there’s demand people will collect them - so do them a favour by not buying them.

Hey Mark,

thank you for the advice ;)
I've read those threads (already before salamanderfreak posted here) and to me it sounded like Ed revealed part of the problem with the keeping of them.
But I think I am already in contact with the person that created the first thread you posted via facebook, so hopefully he will be able to give me some advice.
I am not willing to support mass imports (!)

Best Regards,
Jakob

AW: Re: Keeping of Bolitoglossa

hi mark
Thanks for the information

I hate mass imports!!!

You don’t really need mass imports to have a negative affect on a small Bolitoglossa population. B.doflenini for example takes more than 10 years to become sexually mature. If you take even a handful of adults from a small population that’s a serious setback. The collected animals will almost certainly all be female because they are usually the only sex to come down to the leaf litter and they’ll probably be infected with chytrid fungus (which will kill them in captivity if left untreated). They are already classified as near threatened by the ICUN and the continuing collection for the pet trade will likely lead to a CITES listing at some point. To take an endangered animal from the wild which has a slim chance of survival in captivity just to make a quick buck is a pretty awful business.

So whilst I’m fascinated and amazed by such lovely creatures, I can’t help feeling sad when I see them for sale.

Hey Mark,

you can remove the mass before imports. Of course I'd like to see a base of Bolitoglossa keepers that also breed but I am aware of the problems (what ofc makes me kind of sad).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back