Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How do you photograph wild aquatics?

JessKB

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I have been playing with my old point and shoot camera for a while now, and plan on purchasing a bridge camera this weekend. I want to take some pictures of wild aquatic salamanders like necturus and various larvae in a naturalistic setting, and wondered how you guys accomplished this?

I read on another forum that some people actually carry a small tank into the field with them that has a silicone/gravel/sand bottom. They fill it up with bottled water and place the specimen into that for photographing. I saw a couple problems with that, mainly the chance of spreading disease from one body of water to another, or from one animal to another. Is that an irrational fear?

Nowicki418

Reaction score
I have a point and shoot camera too. I've never photographed aquatic salamanders ( mainly because I have trouble finding them ), but I have taken a few underwater shots.

I've never personally done this, but when profesionals take these kinds of pictures they have have an unmounted flash pointed at the subject. The angle of the flash comes at a sharp angle so the subject is illuminated but the section where light enters the water is not visible in the viewfinder. Thus your subject is lit up and your image lacks glare. This can also apply to taking pictures of animals behind glass.

I have a removable flash for my camera but I haven't purchased a chord to unmount it yet. You don't necessarily need one to take underwater shots though. The trick is to illuminate the subject, but not have the light bounce off the top of the water into the camera. This can be done with a strong flashlight and if the sun is in the way you can take the picture in a shadow, then artificially illuminate it. When I did this it was mainly with a group of Bufo americanus tadpoles. I just waited until 6-8 pm when the angle of the sun mimicked this effect for me. Camcorders work a little differently than cameras but with a powerful lantern I have some underwater video clips of bugs and tadpoles that came out really well.

I also tried submerging the camera ( my old cheap one ) inside a small clear plastic container but the images came out grainy. You can order a clear cover that makes cameras waterproof, but I'm not so sure if I would trust it.

Nowicki418

Reaction score
I know I'm reviving an old post, but its a very interesting topic and I'm curious to hear how other people acomplish this. I know there must be much more to it than what I said in my short response above.

Jakub T

Reaction score
I also tried submerging the camera ( my old cheap one ) inside a small clear plastic container but the images came out grainy.

It is a good way, but the walls of a container/tank must be perfectly clean. You can try to put the animal in shallow water, in a good light and on the contrast substrate, where the animal will be clearly visible :)

evut

Reaction score
A polariser can help reduce reflections.

I think your fear of spreading disease is not irrational but I suppose you won't be travelling across continents during your trips so maybe the risk isn't huge. Perhaps you could have a couple of containers and a bag for used ones...but you would also need to clean your hands really well between animals. I suppose if there were some pathogens in one place, you would probably spread them on your shoes anyway. I have no practical experience so it would be better to hear from people who do.

Last edited:

Nathan

Reaction score
Spreading disease is a valid concern. I use photo tanks when working with fish. I sterilize them with a mild bleach solution between sites. I use a bare tank so it's pretty quick and easy for me.

My suggestion: use substrate you find at the site; it will be more natural and versatile than carrying the same old gravel around with you everywhere you go. When you are done photographing at that site, dump the substrate, disinfect your tank, and go. If you bring your own water, be sure to avoid distilled water.

Nowicki418

Reaction score
It is a good way, but the walls of a container/tank must be perfectly clean. You can try to put the animal in shallow water, in a good light and on the contrast substrate, where the animal will be clearly visible :)

For this to work you need something very clear that the camera can press up against at an even angle. If someone spent the time to create a tool like this you would want it to last, plastic scratches very easily, maybe glass would work. ( Before I tried this I scrubed the thing very very clean, but the container was like a year old )

I've had the idea of taking a clear plastic bag and sticking a bunch or rubber bands around the lens to give an even/clear layer. These kinds of bags could be easily and cheaply replaced so you always have a new clear sheet. Only reason I haven't tried it yet is because my "old camera" is completly broken now and to me the chances of a leak on a good camera are not worth the risk.

As for a polar cover, only DSLR's have those and I am unaware of any way to custom fit a cover like that to a typical lens although it may be possible.

caleb

Reaction score
As for a polar cover, only DSLR's have those and I am unaware of any way to custom fit a cover like that to a typical lens although it may be possible.

It's not just DSLRs- any camera with a screw thread on its lens should be able to use filters. I have a circular polarising filter for my old Coolpix 950, which I used for the attached snapshot of toads under water.

It really is the best way to get rid of reflections from water, but you have to rotate it to get the best result for each shot you take, and it works best when you're most perpendicular to the water. The photo I attached was taken at quite a low angle, and you can see reflections coming back in along the lower edge.

Attachments

• toads.jpg
    toads.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 332

Nathan

Reaction score
Several of the major camera manufacturers now have decent waterproof point-and-shoots at moderate prices. I have a 14 megapixel Olympus that I am happy with.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!