Gravid P.ruber ruber

josh1990

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Josh
Hello,
My female P. ruber ruber is gravid! I hope she lays and simply does not absorb them.

Anyone have any experince with the eggs/larva?

Well she finally layed about 40-50 eggs a few days ago; but all had cotton-like fungus growing on them and all were lost.:mad:
I wish I would have spotted this sooner, but I have been ill lately and unable to check on them every day, as I should have been doing. The interesting thing was, the female was still gaurding the eggs. They had been layed on the underside of a large flat rock.
So the water quality is now poor, so all 4 salamanders are in a temp. setup while I dismantle and clean their tank.
I guess there is always next January.:rolleyes:

Josh

Too bad you didn't get more responses, Josh! That's pretty awesome.

I know Ed Moyer works a lot with this species. It's his favorite!

The female may have still guarded the eggs because... well, they're her eggs. Long stretch here, but a lot of bird species will replace a lost egg. That's why biologists oil eggs to smother them, rather than removing them; the adults will just lay another one. So maybe...

Well, I dont think its a first but it was pretty cool to see. I do not see anymore eggs developing, so i think it will be next breeding season before I see more eggs. I was wondering how common it is to breed Pseudotriton in captiviy, do you think Ed would know, he may have had succsful breedings with this animal?

Ours (2 adult pairs) have laid 5 times in the past 3 years at the zoo. Seems like once we got them paired up and properly cycled they lay every year. Clutches are usually well over 100 eggs, so we stopped raising them. Demand for salamanders in zoos really isn't that great.

Your best bet is to separate them from the female as soon as she lays, put 5-10 per deli cup in clean dechlorinated water at ~60F until they hatch. They are not aggressive larvae amongst themselves and can be raised in pretty high densities.

Good luck
Tim

Thanks for the information Tim! It comes just at the right time because my other female is gravid now!
Tim, if she lays her eggs on the under side of a rock as the other female did, I assume the whole rock should be removed?
I am guessing the normal food items for the larva; blackworms, bloodworms, earthworms, copepods, etc...
Thanks again for the info!
Josh

Yes, I would remove the rock and carefully scrape the eggs into several deli cups. They are each suspended by a short stalk-like attachment, just scrape the rock right where it is adhered.

I've raised them on primarily brine shrimp and blackworms, though I'm sure they'd appreciate more variety.

Good luck!
Tim

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back