Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Meet Hambriento & Lindo

The Banana

Reaction score
These are my gorgeous little 'lotls bred and raised by Meerkat.
They are in perfect health, and even though I just got them... super curious.

This is Hambriento.
His/her name is Spanish for 'Hungry' - a perfect name for an axolotl! :D

LittleLotls036.jpg

LittleLotls028.jpg

LittleLotls029.jpg

LittleLotls012.jpg

LittleLotls014.jpg

LittleLotls016.jpg

LittleLotls018.jpg

This is Lindo - his/her name is Spanish for 'cute'. :happy:

LittleLotls033.jpg

LittleLotls008.jpg

LittleLotls009.jpg

LittleLotls023.jpg

LittleLotls006.jpg

Their home.. a 20L tank. Nothing fancy (for now)... but it works. :happy:
LittleLotls034.jpg

Hambriento is the axie that is seen in the pic, Lindo was hiding behind the PVC pipe.

sillymoogle7

Reaction score
I love 'em! It's so funny the way they blow themselves backwards when they suck in food as babies! All four feet come off the ground!

The Banana

Reaction score
Thankyou, Sillymoogle & Kia!
Away at the moment, getting back Monday.. missing them very much. My brother is looking after my little 'lotls, adult axies, fish & other pets. I'm told these two have grown a little - can't wait to see them!

meerkat

Reaction score
Thanks for posting the video, they are growing so much. Hambriento and Lindo's brothers and sisters are massive now. I went away for 10 days (husband left to look after them) and got such a surprise at how much they grow in such a small time. :eek:

The Banana

Reaction score
Well I got home Sunday (sure I updated here, guess not), my brother did a wonderful job caring for these little 'lotls (and the rest of the axies/other pets), even went to check on them every hour!

They were both roughly 3cms (Lindo slightly larger), and Lindo is now 7cms - Hamriento roughly 3.5-4cms. Going to separate the two today (have another cycled tank), as Hamriento only has one hand left. Rest seem to be growing back mighty quickly though!

They ate their first earthworm today - so proud.
Wasn't going to give them any for a while, but I found an especially small one, and chopped it into three pieces. Lindo got two, being the bigger. Hamriento the other.

Both have learnt that light = food. And pipette = food.
They seem to latch onto the pipette, and you just squirt a tiny amount of food into their mouths. I prefer if I squeeze the food out so it's just hanging out, and they grab it that way.
I've been feeding frozen bloodworms, but the 10 days I was gone they got live blackworms, to make it easier for my brother.

The Banana

Reaction score
Oh, and even though they ate a bit of earthworm today, I think I'm going to stick with live blackworms and frozen bloodworms for a bit longer. Maybe the odd treat of earthworm if I find small ones. :happy:

The Banana

Reaction score
Hambriento and Lindo are now both loving their earthworms. They are still being fed bloodworms, but are also scoffing down tiny (sometimes cut up, depending how small is small) earthworms. They love them!

Hambriento's hands are growing back after Lindo was nippy.

Lindo is gaining quite a bit of sparkly golden iridophores, especially on his/her gills.

Out of the two, Hambriento is the shy one, always the one to hide if you come over.. while Lindo pokes his/her face up, clearly demanding more food!

The Banana

Reaction score
Photo shoot!
I can never get Lindo's colouring captured onto camera - s/he is a gorgeous lemon/lemon meringue.
LittleLotlsEllyMay004.jpg

LittleLotlsEllyMay003.jpg

LittleLotlsEllyMay005.jpg

LittleLotlsEllyMay019.jpg

LittleLotlsEllyMay020.jpg

LittleLotlsStickInsects003.jpg

LittleLotlsStickInsects007.jpg

LittleLotlsStickInsects008.jpg

LittleLotlsStickInsects010.jpg

LittleLotlsStickInsects012.jpg

LittleLotlsStickInsects013.jpg

LittleLotlsStickInsects014.jpg

LittleLotlsStickInsects017.jpg

LittleLotlsStickInsects019.jpg

LittleLotlsStickInsects020.jpg

LittleLotlsStickInsects021.jpg

LittleLotlsStickInsects022.jpg

LittleLotlsStickInsects023.jpg

LittleLotlsStickInsects025.jpg

LittleLotlsStickInsects026.jpg

LittleLotlsStickInsects027.jpg

Lindo is very interactive, and quite photogenic! Hambriento is the shy one, who retreats to cover when he sees somebody coming, then slowly comes out - but only if there is food!

meerkat

Reaction score
You always take such great shots of them. I really need to invest in a good camera and stop relying on my iphone. Your babies really have attitude. They seem to be saying 'You looking at me, you looking at me....' in Al Pachino voice :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1