Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Noto setup

JessKB

Reaction score
Hey guys, Just wanted to drop in and share my newly set up noto tank.

I took advantage of some sales in my area. Petco was doing it's 1 dollar a gallon sale, so I scooped up a 20long and a lid for it. I also got a great deal on plants at my local mom and pops place, along with the black sand I always buy from there, and a sponge filter. There's a turtle dock in the very middle. The plants are water sprite, water wisteria, anubias nana, and elodea.

There is a total of four notos in there. The newt in the picture is a juvenile that morphed a few weeks ago and seemingly has no intention of leaving the water. I'm quite sure that the population he is from doesn't have an eft stage.

Anyways, thanks for viewing. Any comments/advice are appreciated.

Attachments

• 100_2013.jpg
    100_2013.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 489
  • 100_2005.jpg
    100_2005.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 549
  • 100_1990.jpg
    100_1990.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 532

caudatadude28

Reaction score
Great setup! And your notos seem to be nvl's, the central new subspecies, which sometimes skip the eft stage. I have kept and bred this species. I have found southern forms are more likely to stay aquatic and northern forms often have eft stages but even with the northern forms some stayed aquatic. Its a very interesting species to study! And they are great pets :)

JessKB

Reaction score
Thanks again guys. AJ, I collected these guys myself, and although there were tons and tons of notos in the many ponds in the immediate area, we didn't find any terrestrial efts, so I think you're right in them being nvls (although I hear that Michigan notos are all hybrids so nobody knows for sure what they are.) . They Do make great pets!

stanleyc

Reaction score
beautiful, thanks for listing the plant names as well.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1