Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Red spot Help :( pictures attached

saxolotl

Reaction score
Since yesterday my axolotl shows a red inflamated spot on his back, he is eating fine, any help or idea of what type of problem is it, and what to do?

Thanks !

Attachments

• IMG_1370.JPG
    IMG_1370.JPG
    121.9 KB · Views: 273
  • IMG_1371.JPG
    IMG_1371.JPG
    98.7 KB · Views: 267

iSuzie

Reaction score
Firstly you may need to contact a moderator of the site to get an expert to tell you what that is exactly.
Secondly I don't mean to be rude but is that gravel/small rocks in your tank?
I'm not sure if you are aware that axolotls can and will swallow anything up to the size of their own heads, it can be quiet shocking to see the x-rays of other users of this site.
Here is one id like to share just to show the importance of not having anything smaller than your axolotls head in their tank other than sand, its the only thing that will pass though them without any problems. Gravel and large rocks cause impact, blockages, stress and more that can lead to death or disease in axolotls.
So please have a look at these X-rays and remove anything smaller than your axolotls head.
As for the horrible spot, I recommend you contact one of the moderators asap to find out what that is, all the best luck - Suzi :happy:
http://www.caudata.org/forum/attach...iest_trafton_232-20100809141008-original.jpeg
http://www.caudata.org/forum/attach...56d1273034428-large-rock-belly-iphone-090.jpg

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
I would get a vet to check that spot out, the area around it seems to be raised as well. Do you have any fish in the tank with your axolotl?

saxolotl

Reaction score
Thank you for your answers, he is better now, but spot has become white. I will post new pictures.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1