New 4 foot tank

coral2reef

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just picked up a 4 foot tank for £10 ... Bargain!!

Can't remember the last time I posted, but I currently have 2 adults in a 3 foot tank and a smaller adult (fattening up nicely) in a 2.5 foot tank by himself.

The 2 adults are perfectly happy in the 3 foot tank but I couldn't turn down this bigger tank at that price. I'm kind of hoping I may be able to put all 3 together (eventually) ... First to do though is transfer everything across ... Dreading it!

Will put some photos up of my current set ups tomorrow ... Won't be able to even begin on the new tank until the weekend, any suggestions though to utilise the space?! I'll be continuing to use my fluval 305 external and will be transferring across all the sand, rocks and hides etc so hopefully I won't have a crash.

You shouldn't have a crash. Transfer some of your existing tank water too to help it along. I have 4 axies in my 4 foot, and they all get along great! good luck. Try adding live or plastic plants to the space, i think it gives it some charm :)

that's so cheap! i would have picked it up too. i wish i could find tanks that cheap lol.. for some reason where i live aquariums are pricy. I think it's because the hobby is very popular here.

Sorry for the delay! Today I emptied the old tank And set up the new tank. Has been a bit of an ordeal setting it up had to get wood made up to the new tanks size as my stand was not big enough and that wasn't ready until Friday.
However I've filled it up so far with 50l of old water and 40l of new. I may add a little bit more tomorrow as it's only 3/4 full. I don't have a lid though (too hot in my flat to use a lid) so I won't be filling it to the top.
I have my 3rd axie (wild type) held separately in another tank (tank no 5) but I think it's about ready to join the others,think I'm going to use a divider at first as I want to see how it gets on with my golden ... Loving all the space in the 4 foot tank though, wish I hadn't given away all my spare rocks!

Photos on Sunday of the new set up I promise

Hiya a wish a could get a one that big for that price do you know any good sites to get them off for cheap am after a four foor now a have two axolotls in a two foot fishtank and they are both 5 inches long so a want lots of space for them :D x

I sell all my used tanks on eBay, my 3 foot 140litrewill be on tomorrow starting at 99p with no reserve so it's always worth keeping your eye out for bargains on there.

I tend to find Friday ad, gumtree etc really good for cheap tanks - especially larger ones as most people can't accomodate them. A lot of mine I have got through my workplaces noticeboard, lots of bargains to be had!

Ps where in the uk are you?

A brand new 4 foot clearseal tank will only set you back £70 at pets at home. aquarium classifields (online) has loads of great deals, I've never found anything in my area though

Okay so I set it up yesterday, managed to save 40 Litres of old tank water and used 50 litres of new water. Transferred all the sand across along with all the ornaments etc. It's all looking a little bare at the moment with all the extra space, need to go out and get some new plants (all mine have been destroyed as the axies tend to enjoy lounging in them haha) and they eventually die due to lack of lighting. The rest of my axie decs and rocks are in my other tank with the newest arrival.

Just FYI the tank is resting on a piece of hardwood cut to the size of the tank as the stand I had was way too small, this isn't going to be a permanent arrangement but it'll do for now.

I've started another thread in the general axie area with photo's of the axie's ;)

Dorito and Quaver seem to be plodding about happily in the tank which is a good sign :D

1-1.jpg

I'm having the same trouble housing my 4th tank(which seems really empty compared to everyone else's!I'm thinking it's because I have no substrate),looks amazing though your tank!and £50 cheaper than mine!!

Thanks a will have to have a look on some websites :D as I want my little axolotls to have the best tank I can afford xxxxxxx

Tank had a reshuffle today, tank has been divided so the wildtype is in the end section, think you can just about tell from the photos?

As the divider is pretty solid and doesn't allow much water movement I've set it up with a sponge filter to keep it clean and moved the canister filter over so it's all in the main section.

Axies are enjoying being nosy :D will probably try mixing them this weekend as I am around to keep a close eye on them - reckon this is long enough? The darker axie (quaver) has great eyesight it was straight over there to have a look at the new neighbour :cool:

Attachments

• IMG_0578.jpg
    IMG_0578.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 302
  • IMG_0593.jpg
    IMG_0593.jpg
    231.8 KB · Views: 284
  • IMG_0585.jpg
    IMG_0585.jpg
    230.2 KB · Views: 398
I got the exact same tank - 4ft x 1ft x 1ft - on ebay for £15 inc top glass and sliders

Key thing is they will pretty much always be for collection only so its worth customising your ebay search settings to show distance.

The bargains are out there - but a combination of search sophoistication and patience are required.

Bargains are indeed out there, my old 130 litre tank is currently on eBay on 99p with just over 2 days to go! I'm getting twitchy about it as I never set a reserve haha!

Anything heavy/high postage I always set to distance nearest, although it's not very often one turns up on Your doorstep ... But great when they do!

What a lucky find and a beautiful setup!

I would be worried about the suppourt for the sides of the tank though, it looks much too large for the cabinet. If it were in my house I would worry about cracking the cabinet :/ Perhaps there is a way to put some sort of structure to help hold up the ends to disperse weight?

It looks great though!

Yeah this was my concern too. It is on a very solid piece of wood though. The annoying thong is that I have a beautiful 4foot cabinet right next to it, it's quite low but I bought it specifically to put my racing bike on. Despite living in a second floor flat I keep my bike in my room as if cost just short of £1000 a year ago. Originally I had the bike suspended on the wall with a bike rack (don't tell my landlord haha) but as it's only an internal wall it wasn't strong enough and it started coming out slightly over a couple of months. Couldn't risk it ripping out of the wall and the bike getting damaged so I then bought a long low cabinet to put the bike on. If I can find a way to put the bike maybe up on one wheel and maybe bungee it to the bike stand the tank will be straight onto the cabinet. First few days I had it how it is now I kept getting up during the night to check on it lol!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back