Illness/Sickness: Heart problem or just fat?

blinky000

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've read that axolotls get a kind of double chin look when they get heart problems. Well Jackie, my 6 year old female, has a double chin. She had been fed a lot of ox liver over the past few years before she came back home to me. Here she was when I left her:

jackieadvocaat.jpg

And here she is now:

DSCF2183.jpg

To me, that doesn't look like a healthy axolotl, especially comparing it to how she used to look. Maybe I'm just being an overprotective mother. If you have any info that could shed some light on this, I'd appreciate it. She's my pride and joy, I raised her from an egg. I'd hate to think her health has suffered because I entrusted it to someone else.

Is there anything at all that could have got lodged in her mouth?
Can you have a look or feel inside?

Mel

Thank you :) I've looked in her mouth and it's all clear (surprising, everything else seems to go in there!)

I dont like the look of that mouth
Mine have been chunky and their throats have never done that.

I would probaby suggest a vet :(

Mel

How often are you feeding her now? Also what are you feeding her?

I feed her about every 3 days, though I assume she was getting fed more when she was with my dad. She's getting a mix of trout pellets and Reptomin now

Arent the trout pellets quite fattening too? I only say that as I bought some axie pellets recently from exotic pets as I needed something simple for the axis to be fed whilst I am on holiday or really busy. My very skinny wildtype very quickly gained weight from them (which was good) but I wouldn't want to feed them too regularly. I asked recently if one of mine was too fat in one of my threads, no-one commented on his weight though so I assume it was okay - I am keeping an eye on it though. When your dad had the axie did you see it at all? Just wondering if the chin thing was a gradual thing or if suddenly happened?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back