Taliangensis

mr cyclone

Reaction score
Country
Scotland
I have recently bought 3 Taliangensis 2 male 1 female that are fully grown.I have kept other Tylototriton before,these specimens are quite slender and long ,does anyone have any advice for housing them .I have them in a terrestrial setup at the moment with a large water dish temperature is roughly 18 to 20 they seem really curious and are not shy in the slightest.One of the males is really skinny ,and both males are quite aquatic whilst the female is hardly in the water at all,I have tried waxworm and crickets and although they follow the movement of them , they don't seem to like the taste/smell ,also i saw a cricket bite one in the leg.I will try them with lobworms tonight.Do you think i should maybe place them in an aquaterrarium?
any advice appreciated
sorry no pictures at the moment i'm using the computer at work

A couple months ago I received 6 adults. They were in excellent basic health but had been crammed in one small container that got too hot in shipping. They soon developed mouth sores, and three quickly died. I'm working on saving the last three and the silvadene cream is a huge help. It goes by a different name here in Canada. Had to bring one of the animals in to the vet to get it!

Anyway, they all have been eating waxworms from dayone, despite having sores on the mouth. Also, to a lesser extent, earthworms. I found mine to be mostly terrestrial initially,but they are all in quarantine tanks. Two are doing well now, one is on the bubble. At least one animal (a big female) just sits in its water bowl all the time. They are large and interesting newts. Hopefully they all get healthy.I'm planning a 50/50 tank but would love to hear from others who have kept them.

These are great animals but WC are difficult to establish. I would recommend keeping them on damp paper towel with a hide. Keep them cool. I am not a vet and do not want to offer advice as such but troutnerd is correct about Silvadene, it is great for treating sores and wounds on fresh imports. I hope that yours do well but do not be surprised if you lose some. In my experience mortality is high with fresh imports. Offer small cut sections of earthworms. Be careful to not overfeed. I would only offer food about once every two days at this point in order to avoid refeeding syndrome. Once established T. taliangensis are very out going and easy to keep. I keep my group of eight in a 65 gal vivarium that has a 5 gal water section in it. I apologize for the US measurements but I am running late at the moment and do not have time to look up the conversions:)
Chip

Ik keep my T.cf.kweichowensis in a 50/50 tank, which is also an option for your taliangensis. I don't believe it's necesarry, but I just thinks it looks nice. Make sure you have some really dry spots in the tank though. I don't use a lid. This is my tank, while it still stood under my desk.

IMG_2349.jpg

Niels: How big is that tank? Looks really nice.

GE

Niels: How big is that tank? Looks really nice.

GE

Great tank mate.
I didn't see much of my taliangensis last night i kept the lights off on my tanks to let them settle so i guess they are hiding.I did see the female one on top of the bark in the evening, i placed about 10 waxworms on a dish yesterday next to the waterbowl,all the crickets have disappeared from view i will check the enclosure tonight and check on them and maybe try feeding them some earthworm.Thanks for the advice guys.My newts do seem healthy enough they don't have any sores on them.I'll just have to be patient.

Mine did well outdoors with fairly low humidity and deep litter. I brought them in when overnight temperatures started dropping below -3C. For a few days they were good, but when humidity AND temperature were relatively high for 2-3 days in a row...POOF. All dead. Have had similar issues with other species, but the taliangs seem most sensitive in this respect - no skin sores necessary. They can't handle warm OR humid especially well. Dry air and moderate or cool temperatures are important

Tank is 100x35x60 cm. Next year they will go outside in spring. In the room they're in it can get 12 C, but I don't think that's cold enough. I want them to grow a little fatter though, so I'm not cooling them down.

It took some time, but I'm feeding them with tweezers now. Some people think this disturbes them, because everytime I feed them I'll have to find them first. I don't believe this causes stress though. When I start feeding one, the others rush towards the tweezers and come out of hiding, because they know it's dinner time. I think it's a good way to make sure all your animals are eating well. Be patient though, they need to get use to this.

I fed one of the sals a worm with my hand not noticing that there was another one lurking from under the corkbark at the other side. A the end both of the sals had an end of the worm in their mouths. Did remind me of "Lady and the tramp".

photos of my Tylototriton taliangensis setup.I have been putting black silent crickets and waxworm in the setup .i have'nt caught them eating anything although they are putting on some weight and defecateing in the water. I can't tell if it's crickets or waxworm they've been eating as some of the crickets are drowning and some have got me in to trouble makeing their way round the house lol

Attachments

• croc newts 005.jpg
    croc newts 005.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 493
  • croc newts 007.jpg
    croc newts 007.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 1,336
  • croc newts 009.jpg
    croc newts 009.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 768
All three of my newts were out yesterday evening eating waxworms greedily i was especially paying attention to the skinny one.I don't think they are used to me yet i had to back away from the tank when i was watching them eat a few times, i think i may have been putting them off their tastey snacks.I am deeply thrilled now they are eating and settling in better.I am not sure what temperature the tank is,at the moment,i try and keep it as cool as possible i put 2 chunks of ice about the size of 2 cigarette packets in the water part in the evening and the tank is situated next to an open window.I'm going to keep them in this type of setup most of winter,so i can fatten them up a bit .Then next year if all goes well with them , i will try and stick to ummi's method.
I took photo's of them eating last night,although they are not the best quality(i'm a terrible photographer) i will post them tommorrow.

Good news mate! Glad they are eating for you, they will soon put on weight with waxworms! :happy:

He breed nearly all Tylototriton species. I think we can call him the forum authority on the genus.

AW: Re: Taliangensis

I am not only a successful Tylo-breeder, I am happily married and we have 4 children and 3 grandchildren - I'm sorry Niels ...:D

HELP ! bad news today .After all 3 doing very well and eating etc.Last night when i was doing a water change the female of the group was sitting on top of the moss section on the damp sphagnum appears to have a very milky eye,the animal is also shedding its skin when i picked up the newt to look there was a bright pink liquid that i guess is blood on the moss i placed the newt back in the vivarium and it was turning its head erratically with its mouth wide open im at work at the moment when i go home today i will investigate further. any advice? all 3 newts were very active last night when there's normally only one out a time .they were all healthy yesterday

I would seperate the newt. Check if it's eating. Hopefully another member recognizes the symptons. Don't want to cause any panic, but this doesn't sound good. If nobody else can help you I would definately go to a specialized vet.

Im not sure what that can be, but what I do know is that sphagnum (peat) moss is highly acidic and is extremely bad for newts/salamanders. I would recommend removing that from your tank.

Im not sure what that can be, but what I do know is that sphagnum (peat) moss is highly acidic and is extremely bad for newts/salamanders. I would recommend removing that from your tank.

Sphagnum moss isn't bad at all. Just because the acid, bacteria and fungus will have problems to grow.
My terrestrial Tylo's all live in a setup with peat, with sphagnum (and other) mosses.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back