Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Export from US

catfish dude

Reaction score
Hello,

I have again a law issue. This time my younger sister is in US to do some researches for one of US university and I would not be myself if I would not think about importing a species of two of caudata from USA.

I'm not however familiar with US laws at all. I just know that airplane transport is the fastest possible way and that I will pick up my sister on an airport in Warsaw. Whole trip will take about 16 hours.

I'm interested in two species: dwarf siren (or lesser siren) and Taricha spp. Is it possible to bring those animal from US legally? If yes, what kind of paperwork I need to do? I'm interested in CB animals of course.

Best wishes.

Nathan

Reaction score
I don't know the answer, but here's the place to start learning about our regulations: Information for Importers and Exporters

I know that wildlife must be cleared with both the US Fish and Wildlife Service and US Customs before being exported; I don't know how long the approval process takes, so definitely contact the relevant offices well in advance, USFWS especially. Also be sure to find out the regulations in your country; they may be different for wildlife imported from overseas versus a neighboring country.

catfish dude

Reaction score
Hello Nathan,

thank you very much! A lot of reading but it looks easy :). Everything is on one site :). Try to import something from Africa! :D

FrogEyes

Reaction score
First, check the laws for whatever state they would originate from, and obtain any necessary state permits.

When you're sure THAT part is legal, double check against the ESA and CITES lists [you're probably ok]. Then send your request by email or fax to the USFWS office responsible for whichever port you will export from [this info is easily obtained online]. Tell them what, who, how many, why, through which port, by what kind of transport, and when. They will take 3-4 days to double check the legalities and get back to you for clarification.

Your sister will need to complete the 3-177 [download]. She will be the foreign exporter. She will need to call ahead to the port of exit and arrange inspection. In my experience, export by land [personal car driven over the border] is easy - the inspector tells me she's there until 8pm today and any time is fine. I show up with nice neat completed paperwork [they have copies on hand for those who forget or don't know]. We chat, I show everything off to all who are interested. She checks "complete inspection", stamps it, and I'm on my way. For shipping by air, it will be similar. There may be an inspection fee, but for a small personal shipment, probably not. If they think the value or numbers are "commercial", they can require that the exporter [your sister] have an export permit. If that's the case, it's about $100 per year, or you make arrangements for a licensed company to take care of it for you [any major reptile exporter COULD do it, and they often will...IF you are a customer as well].

catfish dude

Reaction score
Hello,

thank you very much for so good answer. Well I do comercially import tropical fishes from western Africa (mainly from Cameroon) but caudates is just a hobby and I'm interested in 2 pairs of Taricha and dwarf Siren. So not big numbers and I guess not comerciall import.

I have to do my homework (reading all papers) and if another questions appear I will let you know. Thank you very much one more time.

Edit:

Could you give me a link to ESA? Cites do not list species I'm interested in. But I'm not sure what ESA is. Google search gives me European Space Agency.

Edit2:
Found it. Sorry for bothering.

Last edited:

catfish dude

Reaction score
Just for interest of some other people. I have mailed U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service just to be sure about all paperwork :). Here is an e-mail. Maybe someone else will find it usefull in future.

Dear Daniel,

Thank you for your inquiry regarding the exportation of live amphibians to Poland that will require clearance by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. Our mission is, working with others, to conserve, protect and enhance fish, wildlife, and plants and their habitats for the continuing benefit of the American people.

Provided that your sister is purchasing these live amphibians from the seller and she is the U.S. exporter of record, your sister does not have to apply for an import/export license.

However, as your sister prepares to export these live amphibians, she must complete Form 3-177, Declaration for Importation or Exportation of Fish or Wildlife. Your sister can find this form on our website at the following address: http://www.fws.gov/le/ImpExp/faqs.htm This form is not difficult to complete, although your sister must provide the scientific name for each species of amphibian that she wishes to export.

Your sister should have this form completed and have it, and these live amphibians available for inspection as she prepares to export them out of the United States.

Your sister must export these live amphibians at a designated port. Your sister can find a list of designated ports and contact information for those ports on our website at the following address: http://www.fws.gov/le/ImpExp/Designated_Ports.htm We require that she contact 48 hours in advance our wildlife inspectors at the port where she will be exporting these live amphibians in order to coordinate their clearance out of the United States. Your sister can find contact information for our wildlife inspectors on our website at the following address: http://www.fws.gov/le/ImpExp/inspectors.htm

Thank you for your cooperation in complying with our regulations that help protect fish, wildlife, and plants and their habitats. Please feel free to respond to this message with any further inquiries that you may have regarding this matter.

Arlington, Virginia 22203

Best wishes.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1