Eggs?!

EasternNewtLove

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Jesse
Is this an egg?! I found this and many other smaller ones of the same color in my tank tonight. Can anyone confirm if this is and egg or not? The species in question is Notophthalmus Viridescens Viridescens. Also, how much amplexus is two much? I caught mine in amplexus twice today and one time he was trying to amplex the females tail XD

Attachments

• egg.jpg
    egg.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 516
Last edited by a moderator:
I fixed your picture above.

It's hard to tell, it could be, or it could be a small snail.
Is it partly clear with a whitish blob inside it (egg) or all brown (snail)?

Also I wouldn't worry about too much amplexus, twice a day isn't much. If there's only one female and several males, that could be an issue, but otherwise, I don't think it's likely (though it's sometimes possible).

Last edited:
I agree with otterwoman.

Thanky :D I know for sure it isn't a snail. It hasn't moved at all since last night. All I see is the tanish part. It looks like its composed of little blobs. Kinda like this:

http://www.caudata.org/cc/photoofthemonth/PM2007/PM0704.large.jpg

But without as much of a blob. I can't see it very well... Its 1 cm in diameter. I have already removed all the newts and snails from the tank.

It looks like an egg to me, but it's hard to tell. Usually, they're folded up inside leaves, but I've had females lay them on the stems too.

YES XD 1 mm XD I actually already have some microfoods I put in! Cyclops (I THINK) and dahpnia too. Would either of these be a problem to have in the tank with the eggs? And I heard of a method of grinding up newt pellets for them to eat. Is that a successful method to use?

I'm not sure what Cyclops are but Daphnia are OK in the tank. I don't know if I'd try crushed pellets...can you get blackworms? I like minced blackworms, they're easy.

I think the 'fancy' name is Copepod. Hmm... I have white worms. Would they work? I have a HUGE supply fresh from my back yard. So minced? So basically shredded and mashed?

No need to shred and mash the black worms, chopping them into small pieces that still move is the key. White worms are a good food too, might need to cut those into pieces as well though. Daphnia and small copepods are good foods too, unless they really take off in the tank you will have to do regular feedings. You won't have to feed the larva until a few days after they hatch, during this time they will absorb their yolk sac and stay pretty much still on the bottom. Once they start moving around you should begin adding live foods. I would recommend against mashed pellet food, if it isn't eaten it will ruin your water quality pretty quickly.

Best of luck raising the babies, they are really fun.

Cyclops form a good stable diet. Make sure you give small lavae really small cyclops. You can allways use an hatchery dish for brineshrimp. With an hatchery dish you don't need an air pump and the dish separates the eggshells without any problems. Just put in some eggs and wait for them to hatch. If you google hatchery dish you'll even find a method to make one yourself.

Artemia Hatchery Dish | Hatching Brine Shrimp

I'll check out the hatchery dish! :D Also, is there a specific temp the eggs should be kept at? I don't want to risk it getting too hot or too cold and losing the whole bunch.

Here is a video of my newts in amplexus! I thought it might interest a few people to see it. I moved the tank from the porch to the living room :D

Haha :p I'm not sure where most of them are. I'd also rather not disturb them either. Plus, the tank is filled with micro foods and I'd rather not reach my hand into that XD maybe I could send some larvae though once they hatch.

You will need brine shrimp eggs, daphnia, Costa Rican pill bugs, white worms and spring tails. Better get you cutures going now. Waiting last minute won't work. You will need a couple weeks to get any Daphnia culture going and a couple months til the Pill bugs are producing at a high level. Time to get ready for all the real fun.

I've got an endless supply of whiteworms in my back yard, a culture of daphnia and copeopods in the tank, and some weird tiny white bugs that I can barely see. :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back