Oscar the axie about to burst

oscar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
worried sick about my axolotyl.. he has bloated like a balloon and cant put his back legs down.. has anyone got any ideas on whats wrong and how to treat him ..

Attachments

• IMG00021-20111103-1448.jpg
    IMG00021-20111103-1448.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 4,318
I saw this post in the introductions area where another member gave you some good links, did you take a look at them at all? :happy:

I've never seen anything like this, something deep down is telling me it's bloat. But I can't be sure.... the only thing I can suggest is to put him in clean, cool, dechlorinated water and to fridge him.

I will keep the thread bumped so more experienced members can see.

what is that what happened?

this is exactly what my axie darnell is like, i took him to a vet and she drained him. you should try and get to a vet asap. how long did it take oscar to get like this?? is he still eating and pooing? what is he fed on?

the photo ive attached is after hed been drained, he was alot bigger but probably not as big as oscar, but it looks like it could be the same problem. Darnells gotta go back t vets again to be drained weds,
the vet said the fluid is either his kidneys failing or a nutritional deficiency, i hope oscar gets better please let us know
p.s where in uk are you i might be able to help you find a vet

Attachments

• IMG_0351.jpg
    IMG_0351.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 1,074
Last edited:
Oh dear he is very bloated. Have you tried calling your local vets? That might be the best thing to do at this point.

isnt it hurting the axi?

Yes try and call the vet too, jeez why didn't I say that! :rolleyes:

For the mean time just try and keep him comfortable as possible until you can get him treated.

Wow the poor thing ;-; I think all you can do is get him to a vet.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back