P. ruber roomate

nursemelody

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Melody
Does anyone keep more than one ruber together? Are they social, or prone to being territorial and fighting?

I keep four together, and I haven't had any problems. However, I don't know if you could really say they are social. From what I have seen, they tend to stay in their own sections of the tank. I suppose you could say they have their own "territories", but I haven't seen any fighting. Right now, I have all four in a 10 gallon aquarium in an attempt to get them to breed, but I normally have them in a 15 gallon terrarium.

I have 2, they sometimes are together, sometimes not. They do rarely pick on each other but it's not "bad", it's usually food related. Also, sometimes it's about courtship and if the female is not receptive, the male will get a hint! :eek:
In any case, make sure each P. ruber has a potential hide of his own.

I've found multiple P. ruber under the same cover objects within several centimeters of each other and I've kept ruber in groups up to six animals in a 20 long. The only time I saw any agression was when I started seeing some bite marks on the males and some circuling behaviors. I had to get them really cold (down to about 42 F), and simulated an upwelling flow of water into a stream like tank.

Ed

Thanks. Very helpful. I feel comfortable about getting her a room mate now!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back