P. waltl regurgitating food

heavysleaze

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Christopher
So I recently picked up 4 underweight P. waltl at reptile show. I can only assume these were WC as they are quite skinny. I didn't realize how skinny they were until I set them up in a temp tank. They looked bigger at the show as they were buried in the sphagnum moss and I felt they wouldn't have much of a chance with an inexperienced keeper so I negotiated a good price and picked them up. I introduced them to a temp tank with some earthworms in the tank hoping they would start feeding. All 4 of them quickly gobbled up 1-2 earthworms each. When I went back to check on them, they had all regurgitated all the worms. I feared it was due to the worms being too large or that the animals were stressed, so I chopped up the worms. They attempted to consume them as well and then regurgitated them. I tried some frozen bloodworms the following day which a few of them ate those, but they seem to be struggling to keep those down as well. Is this stress or a more seriously problem? They are about 4 to 6 inches TL and very skinny. I am worried there could be a serious issue as I have seen many fat and healthy P. waltl. I know most animals won't even eat for a few days due to stress. I even moved them in a wet terrestrial set up for a couple of hours to see if they would eat some crickets and isopods, but no luck. Water temperature is around 60 degrees. Just some plants and an airstone in the tank right now. I am moving them to a 55 gallon with about 35 gallons of water soon. I keep many species but mainly terrestrial N. American species. Any help on getting these guys fattened up would be appreciated. I hope they can be saved. Thanks in advance.

It sounds like they were starved, and it's taking them some time to get used to eating again. Stick with the bloodworms or other small food and small portions until they are eating properly. Good luck!

Thanks Jen. That was my thought as well. I will give them time. Do you think frozen bloodworms from forceps will work? They all seem to be shedding their skin as well. Thanks for the help. Hopefully I will have some positive updates soon! Thanks!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back