Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Banded/Chinese Mystery Snails as an invasive species threat...

nwmnnaturalist

Reaction score
I'd like to ask the opinion of many of you here about the use of Chinese or Banded Mystery Snails as a live food/accessory animal in your captive habitats.

Chinese and Banded Mystery Snails: Minnesota DNR

Here in Minnesota, we consider both BMS and CMS to be an invasive species. We actually have a lake near here that is infested with these pests. They were introduced by someone irresponsibly dumping their aquarium into the lake, and they have become a real problem. This is a similar story in many, MANY other lakes in the US and Canada. It's always the minority that spoils it for the majority, and there are always people out there that are uneducated about the risks or simply don't care about how they handle their captive animals. I kind of want to take this as an opportunity to educate any of you that may have little experience in this, or ask you to spread the word about proper treatment of captive animals.

I was wondering what kinds of experiences any of you have had in purchasing and dealing with BMS and CMS. Like if sellers have been open or informative about the risks of the snails being invasive, any regulations and the prevalence of these snails in the market.

GazerOfStars

Reaction score
I've never dealt with them personally, but this topic hits home for me as well. I lived in Minnesota for the first 18 years of my life, and living in Fargo I still go there on a weekly basis.

Recently there was a story about this topic on the local news, how some nearby lakes are being threatened to be infested with these pests. They said it was probably just a matter of time before they were invaded. And of course they did a public service message about cleaning your boats after leaving a lake and checking for these guys before entering a lake.

Not sure what to say, I wish it was a problem that could be solved without harming the other aquatic life in these lakes.

nwmnnaturalist

Reaction score
A few miles away is Lake Belle Taine. It's a very popular fishing lake near Nevis, MN. Years ago, they suspect someone dumped aquaria stock into the lake and that's how it became infested by BMS. A large amount die off during the winter, though many survive in the depths protected from the coldest temps. Once the lake thaws, piles of putrid snails wash up on shore. I've seen small container trucks hauling it away. What a stench! It's a prefect case for educating pet owners on how a simple act of irresponsibility can affect an entire ecosystem.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1