Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Laoensis juvs and set up

Davo

Reaction score
I got some Laoensis juvs from PaulB last month, they were picked up for me at the Gersfeld meet. (thanks Paul and thanks Jeremy for bringing them home for me!)
They are settling in well, they are kept in a realy useful box with a pump flushing through a gravel bed. I have a spray bar at the back of the tub so that all the gravel is cleaned by 10 streams of water. I have removed some of the cork bark stack so that you can see them a bit more.
A small aquarium heater keeps the temp at 70f, they are eating springtails, whiteworm, live bloodworm and hatchling crickets dusted in nutrabol.
It is the kind of set up recommended by Paul, and so far so good! :happy:

Attachments

• DSC_0001.jpg
    DSC_0001.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 1,778
  • DSC_0011.jpg
    DSC_0011.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 1,240
  • DSC_0008.jpg
    DSC_0008.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 1,097
  • DSC_0003.jpg
    DSC_0003.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 1,224
  • DSC_0005.jpg
    DSC_0005.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 1,152

Davo

Reaction score
Just an update, juvs are growing well, they were a bit secretive at first but are now settled in fine.They are growing very well and eating lesser waxworm larvae, 2nds crickets dusted with nutrabol, and small earthworms. Some of the larger ones have doubled in size.

Attachments

• DSC_0045.jpg
    DSC_0045.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 1,122
  • DSC_0055.jpg
    DSC_0055.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 1,052

Davo

Reaction score
I stripped the tub down and cleaned the garvel and tub, i put the juvs in a glass tank and got under the tank and took a few belly shots.The flash has washed the colour out a bit but you can see the nice belly patterns. :happy:

They are now back in their tub stalking 2nds crickets.

Attachments

• DSC_0007.jpg
    DSC_0007.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 1,060

froggy

Site Contributor
Reaction score
They are looking really good, Martin. How often do you have to strip down the tank with the gravel slope method? It seems so successful with this species, I wonder if it would translate well to other species, provided they aren't too dry-loving.

Cheers

C

Davo

Reaction score
I syphon the water off every 2 or 3 days and replace it, i remove everything from the tub and wash the gravel every week, it sounds a pain but after doing it a few times i can now do it from start to finish in about 30 mins. I have a large planted cycled aquarium ready for when they go aquatic, all my other juvs i have raised are in terrstrial set ups and they seem happy, it is the first time i have used this method and i had to alter the set up several times until i was happy with it, the lip around the top keeps good humidity around the bark but also plenty of ventilation from the large cut outs in the middle of the lid. Since adding the spray bar the 10 small jets are rinsing the gravel more uniform than one big jet of water that was leaving unrinsed areas. This method is also good for temperature control, a small aquarium heater in the water warms up the water which is then pumped through the gravel creating a nice warm damp environment for the juvs.(70f-72f)
All the other speceis i keep seem to like drier set ups so i dont think i would use it for anything else i keep, i think it would work well for cynops species, i have raised ensicauda popei a good while ago and remember they liked it damp.

morg

Reaction score
Martin
How important do you think the warm temperature is in raising laoensis juveniles?
Do you think they would also do well at slightly lower temperatures?

Davo

Reaction score
They will probably be fine a bit cooler , my tub is running at about 66f at the moment. When i first got them they were not feeding as well as i liked and i raised the temps a couple of times and this seemed to do the trick, also if you look at photo 2 you can see a large lip around the tub, this keeps the cork bark stack damp and humid, but the large open area creates good ventilation.
Another newt keeper i know had 10 juvs at the same time and he did not raise the temps and his ventilation was not very good, last time i spoke to him he had lost 9 of them. I started with 15 and still have 15 (touch wood) so i think the temps could have played a part.
I will take some more pics this week to show their progression.
5 of them are going to a new home later this week and knowing who is having them they will probably grow better than mine! ;)

Davo

Reaction score
Just a couple of pics taken a few week ago, they are coming on very well and eating like little piggies! :happy:

Attachments

• DSC_0003.jpg
    DSC_0003.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 2,299
  • DSC_0004.jpg
    DSC_0004.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 853

mr cyclone

Reaction score
Martin I see you have altered the lid on your very useful box what is the white stuff you have stuffed into the lid? I have a large hole cut in the lid for mesh.:confused:
I want to use my box for rearing animals also,but im struggling to make the lid bug escape proof,Fruitflies and earthworms escapeing and being found by my lady are the Bane of my life lol

Davo

Reaction score
I think that they are very close, they are growing very well and looking good.
Hows yours coming on? Any sign of yours going aquatic?

jasper408

Reaction score
I think that they are very close, they are growing very well and looking good.
Hows yours coming on? Any sign of yours going aquatic?

How big are they now?

I saw that PaulB had a male sexually mature in around 2 years and 7 months. Getting close? :D

morg

Reaction score
Hows yours coming on? Any sign of yours going aquatic?[/QUOTE]

growing well, very bold, and one spends a fair bit of time in the water. water section as yet though, is very shallow so the newts can stand in it submerged, or hold head above the water.
I will try get a pic of the one under the water when I can get to grips with my new camera

morg

Reaction score
pic of laoensis standing completely submerged, and one eating favoured food of live bloodworm

Attachments

• IMGP1354.jpg
    IMGP1354.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 816
  • IMGP1360.jpg
    IMGP1360.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 849
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1