New Article: Staggering Impact of Frog Leg Trade; 1 Billion+ Frogs Killed in US

findi

Herpetologist & Author
Reaction score
Country
United States
Not only the loss of troubled species (16 in Asia are threatened by the trade) is involved, but also handling problems, I was involved in this issue yrs ago in NYC...the FDA lists frogs and turtles as "seafood"..this allows sellers to display them live but in horrendous conditions...on ice, crammed into small containers and riddled with fungus..unfortunately, it was impossible to get anything useful done at the time, best, Frank.

This is very sad. Perhaps a campaign in mainstream media could help - most people would be shocked to find out about issues like these.

Never thought so much frogs are WC. I thought they were breeding Rana catesbeiana for that purpose. It makes me sad to know that this is going on.

Hi,

I had some idea there were other species coming into the USA, as I live in NYC and had been involved in confiscations while working for the Bronx Zoo; but the scope of it all has surprised me.

It doesn't seem that any other species is being bred for the trade, just collected.

Best, Frank

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back