The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Sick Axolotl? Axolotl looking down in the gills? The doctors are in.

Old 26th November 2011   #1
KassMillerr

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: KassMillerr is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation White dot on my axolotl's eye?

Yesterday I realized there was a tiny piece of gravel on top of his right eye. I then caught him in a net and let him wiggle around a bit in it, the tiny chunk of gravel came off, but today when I woke up I noticed he had a tiny grey/white dot on his eye where the gravel was. He is also currently undergoing treatment for a fungal infection. Could that possibly be just some fungus on his eye? Or a scratch from the gravel? If its a scratch, how do I help my little baby cake PLEASEEE HELP

KassMillerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2011   #2
kiathepooch

Nationality:
Rep: kiathepooch has shown reliable knowledge

Hi if it's a scratch then it should heal itself.
To avoid something similar happening or worse I suggest you switch from gravel to sand or bare bottom tank as unfortunately axolotls tend to swallow gravel which then causes serious complications x

Old 27th November 2011   #3
KassMillerr

Nationality:
Rep: KassMillerr is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Re: White dot on my axolotl's eye?

He now has it on both eyes, completely even, since he's undergoing treatment is it possible the artificial slime coat is just on his eyes as well??? Because he didn't have a gravel fleck in the other eye.

Old 3rd December 2011   #4
Tree Hugging Auxie
(hdonahue)

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: hdonahue has shown reliable knowledgehdonahue has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: White dot on my axolotl's eye?

PLEASE switch to sand or bare bottom tank before a hefty vet bill and possible death occur.

Axolotls feed by vacuum force to inhale their food into their mouth. Axolotls also snap at any movement which puts them at an increased risk for impaction or getting stones stuck in their stomach or intestines ultimately causing death.

Any one on this forum will beg and plead you to immediately remove all the gravel from your tank and replace it with sand or just have a bare bottom.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE remove the gravel from your tank!!
If you need more reason search for the many heart wrenching impaction stories.

hdonahue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2011   #5
Chirple

Nationality:
Rep: Chirple is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgChirple is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgChirple is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgChirple is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgChirple is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgChirple is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: White dot on my axolotl's eye?

Yep, having your axolotl swallow gravel and then get constipated is not pretty and can be fatal.

Chirple is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axolotl, eye, eye spot, fungal infection, fungus infection, salt water, sick, spot on eye, treatment, white spot