Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Skin secretion sampling methodology?

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
Anyone familiar with dermal secretion sampling techniques for newts?

I suspect swabs may be the right way, but I wonder if a small tissue sample is also necessitous.

My thesis finally was approved today and I now have access to a entire range of testing I have never had before.

(Without going into too much detail at this time, The results of this project will be a comprehensive analysis of an under-documented species.)

I am having difficulty finding concrete instruction on the procedure.

If there are publications you could direct me to I would be forever grateful. To date I have had no luck in finding caudate specific methods. I suspect that given the nature of this species undocumented toxin(s), dermal swabs as used with certain frogs may not provide reliable samples.

In short, I am trying to save money by "getting it right the first time".

As always, any or all advice is appreciated.

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
BINGO!

Thank you!

This is exactly the sort of thing I have been trying to find for weeks now. (Actually, I'm shocked I didn't with all the digging I have been doing!)

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Last edited:

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
I probably sound like the amateur turned undergrad that I am, but if anyone has any interest in this sort of research, I suggest you read the paper Jackson provided.

Sometimes one can't see the forest for the trees, and in this case a fresh set of eyes did the trick.

JacksonR

Banned
Reaction score
I'm flattered. lol But really i'm the amature here! Happy to help.

And I think I know the species you're going to study.:p

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
Aye, it is obvious isn't it?

The good news is I have all sorts of testing lined up to analyze the toxin.

I am waiting for a few items to show up in the mail so I can start harvesting and prepping samples for Raman, FTIR, chromatography and spectrography.

I'm excited to find out what this stuff is as I can speak from experience, it makes me sicker than a dog very quickly, just by smelling it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1