Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How do I section off a land area in my tank?

obicat

Reaction score
I've got a 3 foot tank that I want to split 70/30 land and water. I want the water to be fairly deep but I want an actual separate land area rather than a floating platform. Whats the best way to do it? If it involves me messing about with bits of glass it might be a no go as my technical skills are limited :eek:

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Well, a piece of glass, siliconed in placed is definitely the simplest way, but you could use other materials.
I´m interested in why you want the land area, though. What species is the tank for? Depending on species, a land area may be completely redundant and a waste of space, so it may be better to actually avoid any fixed land areas that would severely decrease the volume of water you can have.

If you are dead set on having a land section, there are a few very lovely ideas posted around the forums, specially in the vivaria & enclosures section.

obicat

Reaction score
Its for some juvenile Ichthyosaura alpestris apuanus.I could just put a floating island in, but the tanks 3 foot so I have a fair amount of space and they do need some sort of land area. Its also going to be fairly prominent in my front room so it would be nice for it to be aesthetically pleasing :eek:

I dont mind fitting glss, but how on earth do I find a piece of glass the right size? I dont even know where to start looking :eek:

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I keep apuanus 100% aquatic.Given the choice they'll haul out occasionally but a land section is overkill in my opinion. A chunk of floating cork bark will suffice. From an aesthetic perspective a well planted aquarium will look much nicer than a divided tank.

If you still decide you want a divider the best option is to get some 4mm glass cut to size from a glaziers and fix it in place using aquarium silicone.

obicat

Reaction score
I might put them in the other tank with an island of some sort then. I'll still amend the other tank though I think, mainly because I'm off work on the sick, but not sick enough to be stuck in bed, so I'd quite like a little project :cool: So now I just need something to go in the tank, ideally something semi aquatic...

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I dont mind fitting glss, but how on earth do I find a piece of glass the right size? I dont even know where to start looking :eek:

See
Caudata Culture Articles - Setups With Dividers
In particular, see link to details for setup#7.

I've tried a variety of truly separated tanks, like those on that page. But I also think that you can have an effective land area without a firm divider. This gives you more options if you decide to change the setup in the future. Here are some:
Caudata Culture Articles - Setups More
(see #10-13)
http://www.caudata.org/forum/f1173-...osures-vivaria-etc/70715-second-life-jar.html

FrogEyes

Reaction score
I recommend against ever using a complete divider. A complete divider which prevents water getting through, generally backfires. Condensation or movement of animals inevitably carries water to the land side, where it accumulates to form a bog, while movement of the animals carries land particles into the water, producing a similar effect. Better to have a porous barrier which allows two-way movement of water, and a pump concealed somewhere within the land. That barrier can be as simple as a pile of rocks holding back a bed of gravel or LECA. By hiding the pump under the land, particles of soil will be drawn from the open water back under the land mass, while water can be pumped from under the land to prevent stagmation. Your land area becomes a filtr for the water and you have no stagnant and hard-to-clean areas.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I recommend against ever using a complete divider. A complete divider which prevents water getting through, generally backfires. Condensation or movement of animals inevitably carries water to the land side, where it accumulates to form a bog, while movement of the animals carries land particles into the water, producing a similar effect. Better to have a porous barrier which allows two-way movement of water, and a pump concealed somewhere within the land. That barrier can be as simple as a pile of rocks holding back a bed of gravel or LECA. By hiding the pump under the land, particles of soil will be drawn from the open water back under the land mass, while water can be pumped from under the land to prevent stagmation. Your land area becomes a filtr for the water and you have no stagnant and hard-to-clean areas.
I completely agree. My first attempt at a firm-divider setup resulted in exactly the "bog" you describe. Porous dividers are almost always better. I have only built one firm-divider setup that I have been really happy with long-term, which is this one:
Divided Tank Project
Since the soil is shallow, it is easy to use a turkey baster to remove any excess water that gets into it. And the soil usually stays dry.

SkinksGalore77

Reaction score
If you're going to use a divider I would get a piece of acrylic for the divider from tap plastics. That's where I go for these vivarium type needs and they never disapoint. Another idea for you that I used in one of my vivariums for a while is to use some kind of plastic tub or have a glass or plastic shop build you a box with your specific dimensions for the water section so it's perfectly contained without any use of aquarium sealant. I am currently working on a divider/river vivarium and if you would like I can let you know how it goes so you can use it as an example for your tank. Let me know and good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1