Xeriscaping for tigers on the cheap. Pics included

SwampApe

Reaction score
Country
United States
I didn't take pics of the re-build, but you can see the results.

swampape-albums-herb-picture19406-olympic-pool-11x7.jpg

swampape-albums-herb-picture19407-herbs-hideaway-driftwood-laid-over-few-larger-rocks-give-him-actual-privacy-big-lookout-its-like-cave-against-back-glass-backing-picture-keeps-darker-back-corner-his-hideaway-he-already-digging-climbing-i-used-rocks-carefully-direct-his-digging-he-climbs-all-over-place-now.jpg

swampape-albums-herb-picture19405-xeriscape-cheap.jpg

I wanted to make Herb's tank more natural looking for cheap. Xeriscaping in miniature came out nicely :). I have no filters or fancy bedding or lights. The water dish may take away from it a bit but he loves the thing. He'll grow into that 11in dish by summer.

The curved driftwood on the left is placed over a few larger rocks. He's got 4 ways in and out of that section, so he has plenty to explore in a small space. The rocks on the right were layered over his coconut hut by the pool. A few more rocks line the other side of the pool. The idea behind lining the outside of the dish with rocks was to keep debris out of his water dish.

The plastic aquarium plants were kept short. You can plug or unplug them in segments for different lengths. He isn't the most skilled climber but gets around pretty well in there.

He seems to like to dig next to things. Just having a huge pile of fiber made him almost bored. He never came out of his water dish much. Since I redid his enclosure this way he has made tracks all over the thing. There is less actual digging space, but more little mazes, tunnels, and hideaways for him. There is also vertical use of space, even though he's a digger.

Rocks--free
Driftwood--free
Tupperware--free
Bedding--$5
Nut hut--$5
Resin skull--$5

That's really it. The enclosure fell together like this. I had ideas on what it would look like, but it didn't end like I envisioned and I still like it. Treat it like a painting and have some fun.

I wouldn't have thought to try a desert theme for a salamander, but I like what you've come up with.

It's a little different but it works so far. I'm new and working with what is here. I don't have the means to make a really moist vivarium. He spends a few days in his dish and a few in his hut. He doesn't explore the other parts of the enclosure much. When I change things around, he checks it out and loses interest. There's 3 tunnels in there and he only traverses one regularly.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back