Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Mites and shipping trauma

mthom211

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Before I go one, I just want to say this, please keep this civil, please I am already upset enough, I don't want anyone getting angry at me.

My morphed axie arrived today, the seller didn't pack her like I had instructed him too, she arrived in a cardboard box packed in a fish bag with a few CM of water. I asked him to pack her the way it says in this article Caudata Culture Articles - Shipping she would have been thrown around a lot, I am very worried about her, she has no external damage but I'm not sure about internal damage, is that possible?

Also she has mites, what can I do about that? She is in a small 4 litre tub so she doesn't spread them to her bigger tub and so I can kep her in the upstaird fridge and keep a closer eye on her. I am really worried can someone please help?
IMG_6115.jpg

IMG_6114.jpg

Thanks in advance,
Matt

mthom211

Reaction score
Re: Mites and shipping truama

Oh and you will notice the soil is stuck to her, some water from her bag got in there and made the surface wet, she was also very wet and it stuck to her.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score

Do you know she has mites? I don't see any signs of them in the pictures.

Molch

Reaction score

sorry to hear the shipper didn't pay attention - I dunno, but from the pic she looks healthy enough. Where are those mites you say she has - which part of her body, what size/color are they, and how many?

mthom211

Reaction score

She doesn't have too many, most are around her fingers and between her legs and body. They are around half a mm long and redish brown. I picked a fair few off with tweezers before the picture.

She seems to be recovering she has started to walk again, she still doesn't appear to be exactly right though. Otherwise she looks pretty healthy, nice and plump, no sores. She wont eat though, thats probabaly from stress though right?

Coastal Groovin

Reaction score

Just wash it off with running tap water for a few minutes and place it in mite free soil. It won't be any worse than what that guy does to force them to morph you bought her from.

mthom211

Reaction score

We have chlorine in our water, that would kill her. The morphing process isn't actually that bad but I feel if we start discussing that people will end up fighting....

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score

We have chlorine in our water, that would kill her.

Small exposures to regular tap water isn't lethal. Some people, myself included, even use chlorinated tap water as a treatment option for various topical conditions.

mthom211

Reaction score

Thanks for your help Justin!!! I appreciate it :)

I might use that as a last resort, I don't think I'm brave enough to try that. I'll try Ed's suggestion of isotops first combined with a washing from rain water. Our water here is disgusting and it doesn't get added to any tanks. Will keep it in mind though, thanks :)

Carl

Reaction score

Thanks for your help Justin!!! I appreciate it :)

I might use that as a last resort, I don't think I'm brave enough to try that. I'll try Ed's suggestion of isotops first combined with a washing from rain water. Our water here is disgusting and it doesn't get added to any tanks. Will keep it in mind though, thanks :)

Rain water will have potentially more contaminates than your tap water and at least that is regulated:(

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score

Small exposures to regular tap water isn't lethal. Some people, myself included, even use chlorinated tap water as a treatment option for various topical conditions.

Agreed. I don't see an issue with mites either.

She does look a bit dry though. I would keep her in a clean empty plastic box with a few damp paper towels (only time I advocate use of paper toweling!), keep her cool and in the dark, and feed here lots of earthworms.

It is perfectly normal for terrestrial amphibians to be a little shaken up after a trip through the post. Be patient and give her a week to "calm down".

nwmnnaturalist

Reaction score

How awful! It's a real shame when people are careless like this. I am happy she made it to your home where she can get the care she deserves. Be very careful when removing mites, since plucking them off can sometimes cause injury to the skin. So take it slow and don't force it.

As for water, if you have concern about your water sources you should just get some jugs of distilled water and keep them on hand. We have fairly nice deep well water, complete with nice minerals, but I do also have distilled water on hand just in case I need a really clean source.

'Fluffing' up the moist paper towels may help her when she moves through them and wipes off some of the dirt. Make sure you change the towels regularly so that she doesn't get dirty again. One way to tell if she has any damage is to watch for strange swelling or something that looks out of place.

I think some peace, quiet and gentle TLC will make up for the rough ride she got. It sounds like she is in good hands.

mthom211

Reaction score

How is this?
IMG_6118.jpg

Our rain water is very clean here, I live on the oceon so our air is very clean as well, I don't live in the city either. The tap water has amonia, nitrites and heavy metals depending on what day it is and where the wate is coming from.

I washed the mites off, I can't see anymore. I'm keeping her in the fridge. She has a white swollen lump at the base of one of her toes, I couldn't get a picture bt it wasn't there yesterday.

mthom211

Reaction score

The swelling has gone down and she is beggining to put wieght on that leg.

mthom211

Reaction score

Yes there is.

Thanks, I've been reading up as much as I can on tiger salamders, I understand their care is pretty much identicle.

Last edited:

mthom211

Reaction score

Thought I would update you all on Lilly's condition. She now walks around confidently, she's not at all weak! She still will not eat anything I offer, this would be because her metabolism is so low correct? The mites have also not returned :D thanks everybody for their help!

mthom211

Reaction score

She still wont eat, I've been trying to hand feed her crickets and worms, she wont even open her mouth. Justin suggested I raise the temperature up from 6 to 10, it only goes to 7 though so its at 7 degrees now. She just molted as well... I threw the molt out though but I've just learn;t I'm supposed to leave it in there, will keep that in mind for next time. Any tips on what I can do?

kay

Reaction score

Well its not surprising with the amount of stress she's gone through, that she wouldn't be in the mood to eat. Your feeding techniques seem fine, I would continue to try earthworm pieces. The one thing I found helped when I had a newt that refused to eat for about 2 months was I fed him a waxworm. It was like magic, he immediately gobbled it down. So I like to suggest that as well for critters that just won't eat. Good luck.

Linus

Reaction score

I can vouch for the magic of waxworms as well. Just leave her alone, I've received perfectly healthy tiger salamanders that wouldn't touch food for weeks while settling in. Lack of appetite is perfectly normal for an animal recently received.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1