Really excited..

Rubyfox

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone, my name is Julie and I found this forum after seeing a notice to say Axolotl's for sale. I typed in the name and found you all. I first saw an axolotl a few years ago on tv and thinking how beautiful and odd they was. I am going to get 2 soon and I cant tell you how excited me and my son are. Jason my son (he is 18 now) is showing everybody what they look like and he has become a big kid again asking all the time when can we collect them lol We are having one each and we are calling them Jibba & Jabba.
What I would like to know is what is the best age to get one at?

ps What a wonderful forum, lots of great advice ;)

Is there anyone from here in the uk?:D

There are lots of folks here from the UK. Just jump right into the conversations!

Welcome to the forum!

Hi and welcome!

I am from the UK, Sussex. Only heard about an Axi about 2 weeks ago and now have one all set up, tanked up and happily fed - all thanks to the helpful advice on these forums.

Never be frightened to ask a question - loads of talented people out there but for me I spent 2 or 3 days just reading posts and learn't so much. Looking forward to giving some back now as my experience improves.

WELCOME! ;)

There are oodles of us from Sunny and exotic England, Welcome to the forum :D

Lots of people in the UK are growing eggs at the moment, if you start cycling your tank now and learning about axolotl care there will be plenty of cheap and good quality axolotls available in acouple of months, just check the classifieds for somebody near you.

Thank you all for the warm welcome. I have bought my two tiny babies home last night and I am watching them like a hawk and am attached to them already :D I dont think there so old and what I have been reading they might not survive with them being so young? I am sure they have changed in a day lol

What type(s) did you get and how old are they?

It's a bit like having your first child - you spend ages just looking at them wondering "what happens next!"

What type(s) did you get and how old are they?

It's a bit like having your first child - you spend ages just looking at them wondering "what happens next!"

I am sorry for sounding stupid, but what do you mean by what types did I get? :confused: lol do you mean like 'WIld' ?

As both my babies both look dark will they stay dark?

1zn2vt3.jpg

This is Jibber and Jabber..

They look very small , are they still eating live food?

Hi Ian, I think so even though I haven't seen them eat any.

They tend to do a little jump when they feed, its like they are hiccuping, quite amusing.

I need to watch more I think lol

How oftern should I change the water? There in little tupperware boxes and not together.

How oftern should I change the water? There in little tupperware boxes and not together.

I would change all the water daily, use dechlorinated water which has been allowed to stand to reach room temperature. You are not cycling the containers so you need to remove all the uneaten food and old water.

I'm new here too, I plan on making my 40g breeder an axie tank. Really excited as well :D

Thats good Ian as one of them doesnt look good too good at the moment and thought I was doing something wrong. Thanks for the help x
Paul it is exciting but I am so impatient and cant wait lol, getting two small tanks coming soon and can plan what to put in them both. sand or large pebbles?

Thats good Ian as one of them doesnt look good too good at the moment and thought I was doing something wrong. Thanks for the help x

Im surprised the breeder sold them at that size to be honest,young axolotls can have a high mortality rate and even healthy looking individuals can die for no apparent reason, they are just not viable or a simple mistake is made in their care. I know its horrible when you are worrying about a pets health but dont , these guys are hatched in their hundreds they are not all designed by nature to survive, no matter what you do they might not make it, which is a bit of a pain when you have been to the trouble of collecting them,learning about them and have become attached to them. You can only do your best with the information you have found, just keep on top of the daily water changes, watch for temperature fluctuations i.e. keep off window ledges and from above radiators, you are using a small volume of water it can heat and cool rapidly which is not great for the axolotls, keep feeding live food till they get their back legs, what food are you feeding? Good luck.

I'm from the UK, theres quite a lot of UK based people on the site :D

Axies need the sand. Gravel sized rocks can be dangerous for them. I'm impatient too and will probably buy the first reasonably priced ones i see!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back