A cautionary tale of Water

vagus

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Vagus
The following is a cautionary tale. The axolotls in question were fine before this with no notable health history, and three weeks after the events described, appear to be doing great.

Recently moved to a new area. Before moving, had a relative cycle some tanks for me. I sent my axolotls ahead. While they enjoyed the new place, my wife and I crossed Canada with most of our worldly goods in a rented trailer. I was so happy to see my critters again!

After about 4 weeks, I noticed tiny clear bubbles develop on the skin of my axolotls and their gills were turning very dark. Only found two other references to such bubbles. Both were older forum posts here. In one case outcome unknown, and in the other case, the animal died due to what appears to be poor water quality.

I was testing my water regularly and seeing ammonia climbing but within acceptable limits. Axolotls were still developing more bubbles on the skin. I set a vet appointment. Soonest appointment: 1 week out.

Thinking about the move and the heat and cool the test set experienced, I replaced my water test kit and HOLY SMOKES! The water was Awful! Ammonia and nitrate were high, PH was 6.5! Carbonate hardness was nearly 0!

insert freak out moment here.

I immediately tested the tap water before and after treatment with both test sets and took a sample to LFS for a test. New Set and LFS test agreed: the water out of the tap actually had a notable ammonia level and was really acidic. The buffer I add during water changes wasn't keeping up, nor were the Whisper 10i filters in the tanks.

Course of treatment: Daily 20% water changes plus small increase in neutral buffer. Also, added a heat-treated oyster shell to each tank near the filter output. Switch from tap water to RO water purchased at store. On recommendation from turtle-keeping friend, replaced 10i's medium with cut-to-size filter pad.

Result: in less than a week, PH was neutral, Carbonate Hardness was around 160 and Nitrates and nitrites were near 0. As water hardness increased and pH increased, skin bubbles re-absorbed and gill color returned to its normal range.

Speaking with Vet, Water in this area is known to be terrible. Nobody drinks out of the faucet here.

Moral of the Story: Water Quality. And barring that, Water Quality. Axolotls are really very hardy creatures, but poor water quality is the very reason they are now rare in their former habitat. When in doubt, have a third party check.

I just want to help clarify - - you said you noticed the ammonia climbing but with in acceptable limits....

Any trace presence of ammonia is harmful - the only acceptable limit is 0. This goes for nitrite also. Nitrate is the only one that has an acceptable range....It is best to keep the readings under 30, anything near 70/80 indicates an urgent need for a larger water change.

Jenste: Thank you, I was not clear. I do weekly water changes on Saturday mornings.The ammonia levels, which had read as zero had reached .5 ppm per the bad/damaged test kit by the time I did the weekly change. In my experience, provided everything in their tanks was as it should be, would have been cleared up with a water change. If it happened more than once, I would be looking at the feeding and water change schedules.

Linus: Unfortunately my camera is very bad for doing macro shots. Suffice, these looked more like translucent bubbles on the skin rather than under it.

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back